Raid 1 - disks full and want to separate

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
Eyeofthewanderer

Raid 1 - disks full and want to separate

Post by Eyeofthewanderer »

When I setup my drives I may have not looked into raid 1 properly. I’m running a D5-300C.

However. As a photographer. I wanted a drive with a backup - two 8TB drives. So I setup raid 1.

I now (assume) have 1 drive with a backup.

The drive is full and wanted to pull one (the backup) out (put that somewhere for safe storage), move the other down so I can still access the files and put two new drives into the raid position.

Is this even possible? I think what I’ve worked out is I can’t simply split my Raid 1 setup?

If not. How do I go about this?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: Raid 1 - disks full and want to separate

Post by TMzethar »

It is not recommended to remove the RAID1 disk. The RAID1 setting is explained on the transparent sticker on the side of the fuselage.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Eyeofthewanderer

I ended up having a look before you replied.

There is no data at all on the second drive. In fact. It wasn’t even able to be picked up by the system when plugged into the Terramaster at all and was coming up as an unassigned volume.

I think perhaps I never even setup Raid1 correctly to begin with?
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

Raid is NOT A BACKUP!
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
Eyeofthewanderer

Understood. Like I admitted. I did not look into this properly when I first set it up.

The first drive seems to be operating as an individual drive. The second did not. I formatted the second and I’m currently copying over the contents from the first to the second in case the first suddenly decides to die.

Return to “USB Series”