Change / Swap Super User to different user account

Permissions, Users, Uear groups, shared folders, LDAP/domain
splaquet

Change / Swap Super User to different user account

Post by splaquet »

Is it possible to change the superuser account? Now that I’m finally back online (after the 4th rebuild attempt), I’m realizing that I forgot all about the superuser not being able to connect to time machine (or backups). This is slightly problematic, as I’d rather not update all of my end devices with the new credentials, when initial SuperUser creation could be more clearly explained.

I, as well as other long time TNAS users, have spent hours and hours using TOS 4.x. As much as TOS 5.x is a giant leap in the right direction, it’s created A LOT of headaches for EVERYONE!!!

For those of us forced into rebuilding our TNAS system… it would be super nice of y’all if you’d remind us about the change of ROOT/SUPERUSER roles/permissions when entering in the login info for the first time (usually because this upgrade has wiped out all of our previous settings).

Maybe some type of notice when TOS identifies that there are existing files/is an existing TOS system?

When starting to enter our new credentials back in, maybe a friendly REMINDER that SuperUser CANNOT use all of the TOS features?

“When creating your SuperUser identity, create an isolated account that is not used daily, but rather only used to login and administer your TOS. The SuperUser account *should not* be identified as your UserName, but rather the Server’s Name.”

It’s not just for those new to NAS systems, but even those of us with Linux experience… it’s very easy to forget that even though our UserName is the same, this account IS NOT the same type of account that we’ve always used with this UserName.

…I was feeling victorious at first. But now i’m feeling dissappointed that I have more devices to (re)configure :roll:
Gremlin
Great Britain

Re: Change / Swap Super User to different user account

Post by Gremlin »

I'm pretty sure I read all about the changes to the root/admin account BEFORE I started using TOS5 and I took note of it even though I didn't plan on using earlier versions. Being an old (literally) unix user, that was an interesting read. But, you wouldn't be using other devices with root credentials, would you?
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Change / Swap Super User to different user account

Post by TMroy »

AFP file service will not accept a superuser to access, instead, you can use SMB to do your time machine backup.
Because superusers have too many privileges, a superuser is not designed to use as a normal user, it is NOT recommended to use superuser account in your daily operation, you better create one more admin user and add it to the admin user group.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “Privileges”