Data recovered after failed 5.1.37 attempt.

The discussion here is limited to topics related to the system update itself. Please post the functional issues after the system update to the corresponding other forums.
red454

Data recovered after failed 5.1.37 attempt.

Post by red454 »

I did something REALLY stupid yesterday - I updated my F2-422 and F2-423 at the same time, going from 5.1.33 to 5.1.37. I had forgotten that they came from TOS 4 initializations so neither would come online after the 5.1.37 update. I realized what I did right away. Tried all day to trick both units into letting me back in with different TOS downgrades. No luck. I was not happy as I had 10 years of data backed up (mirrored) between the 422 and 423.

So I contacted Terra Master support and an engineer was able to help. First, I used two NEW 4TB hdds for a fresh 5.1.37 install. That worked well on the first try. Then he logged into my system and broke the raid 1. I then took one new drive out and replaced it with my OLD 4TB data drive. He then forced my old drive into the array (resulting in a degraded RAID). It was hard to follow all the details due to the huge volume of command line work that he did (close to 1 hour). But it worked! I could access my data again.

So I learned a huge lesson - NEVER update more than one NAS at a time. Sadly, I knew this but wasn't watching what I was doing.

Thanks so much to Terra Master support!!!!

Return to “System Update”