Multimedia Server converted all my FLACs to MP3 !!

Photo, music, video management; Video streaming, decoding, transcoding.
paulyuk6

Multimedia Server converted all my FLACs to MP3 !!

Post by paulyuk6 »

I'm pretty annoyed!
I've been trying out the supplied Multimedia Server, as Emby Server recently stopped working (I'm waiting for an update).
I'm using it as a DLNA server for my collection of music.

This app works fine as a DLNA server BUT I switched on the Transcoding option to see if would improve the speed across my network.
To my horror, I have discovered that it has worked through every folder in my music library - around 6000 files in FLAC format.
And it has dumped in every folder an MP3 version of the same tracks. So every folder contains 2 copies of each song file, both in FLAC and now in MP3. This means that when I play any albums through my Cambridge Audio CXN network music player, it plays each song twice, because it is seeing both versions.
This means that I now have to manually work through every folder and delete the unwanted MP3 versions. :(

Is there a way that the Multimedia Server app can be told to delete all these files it has created? Some kind of Undo function?
I know that I could just do a search for all MP3 files (*.MP3) and delete them BUT some of my older albums are already in MP3 format so I don't want them deleted. So it means a manual search through thousands of files. I am not happy!
Why didn't Multimedia Server ask my permission to create MP3 versions of all my music files, or at least tell me that this is what it was going to do.
This really is a poorly designed app!

Paul
Gremlin
Great Britain

Re: Multimedia Server converted all my FLACs to MP3 !!

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}paulyuk6
I wasa curious and noticed this in the help:
Note: 1.Enabling the audio transcoder allows TNAS to convert audio files with the FLAC / APE, ALAC / AAC, OGG, AIFF formats to MP3 files. Selecting ‘real-time transcoding’ will allow the DLNA/UPnP device to convert files as they are being streamed.
May not help your issue, but maybe explains how it happens.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)

Return to “DLNA/Multimedia Services”