Has anyone got RSYNC to actually work ?

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
digi999

Has anyone got RSYNC to actually work ?

Post by digi999 »

So trying to run a timed backup of my TM-423 over to a Synology DS1019+ using RSYNC , both units have RSYNC enabled , both have the exact same account details (as in both have the same RSYNC account logon and password) but no matter what I do the Terramaster refuses to connect , it keeps giving the same 'address not recognized error' , the frustrating thing is that the TM can map a drive to the Synology no problem so it can obviously see it , it just refuses to connect through RSYNC so I can run an automated backup through TOS backup

Synology fully updated to latest DSM
TM fully updated to latest TOS

When i press Test all i get is 'Operation failed! , Please check the server information is typed correctly (which it is)

anyone else had this ?
Attachments
TM RSYNC.png
TM RSYNC Info.png
Syno RSYNC.png
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Has anyone got RSYNC to actually work ?

Post by TMroy »

We verified that TNAS can connect to several Linux contributions like Ubuntu, Debian, and CentOS, but fails to connect to synology via Rsync. We are doing an investigation but have no result at this moment.

You can use TFM backup instead. mount the synology to TNAS via smb or nfs, and install TFM to process your backup.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
digi999

Post by digi999 »

Well , yes but that's a long winded way to do something that RYSYNC was basically designed to do easily , I mean I absolutely get what you're saying but being as Synology is by far the biggest home NAS producer then its not out of the question that a Terramaster user would probably have one , don't get me wrong its a great little system you guys have produced and I really am a fan you just seem to focus on the software development side before getting pre existing bugs sorted first

Hopefully in a future firmware update , thankyou for replying :)
freman

Post by freman »

Hi
Not sure if this is related but I'm trying to get it to backup via rsync to my old server right now

I tested that I could run rsync from ssh and it worked fine so I inspected the javascript console while I was running the test command and got this response

{"is_login":true,"code":false,"msg":"connect failed: read /dev/ptmx: input/output error","data":[],"time":0.032714203,"code_num":0,"code_msg":""}
rapcat

Post by rapcat »

I was looking for a good backup tool and I ended going through the same way, but using rclone insted of rsync. I did my custom backup script and it's workig like a charm with the rclone from Outkastm: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2519&hilit=rclone
hollysmith

Post by hollysmith »

digi999 wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 14:48 So trying to run a timed backup of my TM-423 over to a Synology DS1019+ using RSYNC , both units have RSYNC enabled , both have the exact same account details (as in both have the same RSYNC account logon and password) but no matter what I do the Terramaster refuses to connect , it keeps giving the same 'address not recognized error' , the frustrating thing is that the TM can map a drive to the Synology no problem so it can obviously see it , it just refuses to connect through RSYNC so I can run an automated backup through TOS backup

When i press Test all i get is 'Operation failed! , Please check the server information is typed correctly (which it is)

anyone else had this ?
While it's challenging to diagnose the issue without more specific information, I can suggest some troubleshooting steps and considerations that might help:

Verify rsync service: Double-check that rsync is enabled and running on both the Terramaster TM-423 and the Synology DS1019+. Ensure that you have explicitly enabled rsync services on both devices.

Firewall settings: Confirm that there are no firewall rules or security settings on either device that might be blocking the rsync connection. Check the firewall settings on both the Terramaster and the Synology to ensure that the necessary ports for rsync (typically port 873) are open.

Network connectivity: Ensure that there is proper network connectivity between the Terramaster and the Synology. Test basic network connectivity by trying to ping the Synology from the Terramaster and vice versa. This step will help determine if there are any network connectivity issues that might be preventing the connection.

Verify login credentials: Although you mentioned that both devices are using the same rsync account login and password, please double-check the account details to ensure they are correct. Confirm that the account has the necessary permissions and access rights on both the Terramaster and the Synology.

Review log files: Check the system logs or rsync logs on both devices for any error messages or relevant information that might shed light on the issue. The logs can provide valuable insights into what might be causing the connection problem.

Update firmware and software: Ensure that both the Terramaster TM-423 and the Synology DS1019+ are running the latest firmware and software updates. Updating to the latest versions can sometimes resolve compatibility issues and improve functionality.

Consider alternative backup methods: If the rsync backup continues to encounter problems, you might consider exploring alternative backup methods such as using a different protocol (e.g., NFS, SMB/CIFS) or using backup software specifically designed for your devices.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it might be helpful to reach out to the support teams of both Terramaster and Synology. They can provide more specific guidance based on your devices' configurations and any known issues.
corbryant

Post by corbryant »

digi999 wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 14:48 So trying to run a timed backup of my TM-423 over to a Synology DS1019+ using RSYNC , both units have RSYNC enabled , both have the exact same account details (as in both have the same RSYNC account logon and password) but no matter what I do the Terramaster refuses to connect , it keeps giving the same 'address not recognized error' , the frustrating thing is that the TM can map a drive to the Synology no problem so it can obviously see it , it just refuses to connect through RSYNC so I can run an automated backup through TOS backup

anyone else had this ?
I think the better question is, has anyone gotten any of the sync or remote services to work on a TerraMaster? After jacking with this 5 bay unit for the last 6 months, I've come to the conclusion that it's garbage. Aside from the services being mostly unusable, it just does weird things once in awhile. I believe the hardware is solid, but the TOS isn't worth wasting time on. If you get one thing working, something else will stop you from using it to it's full potential. I suspect TerraMaster didn't design nor manufacture the hardware, and they only wrote the OS and did the marketing. The best thing you can do is wipe TOS completely off of it and install a NAS package that actually works.
TMwuu
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMwuu »

anyone else had this ?
This problem will be solved in the next system version, please wait for the next version to be released.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

TMwuu wrote: 27 Jun 2023, 18:24 This problem will be solved in the next system version, please wait for the next version to be released.
I'm sure some of us would like to know what could be broken in such a fundamental tool as 'rsync'?
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid. (Latest Update 11/04/24)
chrisdenny

Post by chrisdenny »

I have been pulling my hair out trying to get Rsync to work! I am trying to backup part of my Synology NAS to my Terramaster, and the Synology will not connect to the TM, no matter what I do.

Return to “File Services”