After update to 5.0, system becomes unusable at ~12:15am for a period of time

CPU, memory, fan, process, services status, system log, tempreture
DataScientist6

After update to 5.0, system becomes unusable at ~12:15am for a period of time

Post by DataScientist6 »

Problem:
Once or twice a day, around noon and midnight, my F4-421 system grinds to a halt for 15-20 minutes. Resources spike, I get notification emails about system being sluggish, and if we're watching Plex, the show dies and we have to wait 15-20 minutes for the system to unfreeze. As we're night owls, this is frustrating as it means we're impacted nearly every night.

Situation:
The system slowdown happens every night around 12:10am and recently it seems to also have started happening around 12:10pm as well. I get notification emails about system performance, the UI shows high CPU usage, but looking at the Processes UI in the Control Panel rarely shows anything taking up much of a load.

Given that it happens at the exact same time every night, I'm assuming this is some kind of automated job. Every now and then I do see BTRFS processes briefly pop up with high CPU usage though not enough that it should be grinding my system to a halt.

Any ideas what is going on? If it is some kind of automated job, is there anything that can be done to lower the impact or move the timing so that it doesn't hit when the NAS is actively being used? Thx
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: After update to 5.0, system becomes unusable at ~12:15am for a period of time

Post by TMroy »

Update to the latest version, 5.1.31
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
DataScientist6

Re: After update to 5.0, system becomes unusable at ~12:15am for a period of time

Post by DataScientist6 »

Thanx! I'll give that a shot immediately.
DataScientist6

Post by DataScientist6 »

Still seeing the same symptoms. Between Midnight and 12:30ish, the system grinds to a halt and Plex becomes unusable.
DataScientist6

Post by DataScientist6 »

That said, the symptoms seem less severe since the upgrade to 5.1.31. I don't get system notification emails anymore about system being sluggish and the Plex issues are not quite as bad.
DERIKKU

Post by DERIKKU »

Same here. Every morning no access to the nas. bas is working hard on the disks. tos 5.1.33. only power down is working
F5-221
TNAS 10TB
RAM 10GB
DataScientist6

Post by DataScientist6 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy

Any other suggestions on how to reduce the impact during these daily OS jobs?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}DataScientist6
You can try reducing the frequency of media indexing. If you are using the BTRFS file system, you can disable quotas to reduce resource usage at certain times: 1. login in SSH 2. entering the following instructions:

Code: Select all

btrfs quota disable /Volume1
3. restart the TNAS
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)

Return to “System Resources”