Time Machine Backup on External Storage with TOS5

Time machine backup for macOS users
Whab

Time Machine Backup on External Storage with TOS5

Post by Whab »

Hello,
Is it possible to perform a Time Machine Backup onto the External Storage connected to a F5-422?
If not, is it something one could expect to be implemented in a future version of TOS?
Thank you!
TMnorah
TerraMaster Team

Re: Time Machine Backup on External Storage with TOS5

Post by TMnorah »

Time Machine backup supports backing up to an external storage device, as long as the folder of your external storage device can be identified.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Whab

Post by Whab »

Hello, I can successfully use the public folder or any other shared folder as a Time Machine Disk, but this always fails with the external storage (usbshare1). The Mac (running macOS Monterey 12.6.2 on a M1 Pro) emits the error "Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup: The backup disk image could not be created". Do I need to do anything special to get it work???
Whab

Post by Whab »

Hello, has anyone been successful at making a Time Machine Backup onto an External Storage connected to a F5-422? Thank you.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Please contact our tech team to check remotely.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Whab

Post by Whab »

Hello, I found out that the issue I was having was with the format of the external storage: Time Machine Backup fails if exFAT or APFS are used. Time Machine Backup works however by formatting the external storage using EXT4 from TOS5 or Mac OS Extended (aka HFSplus) from a Mac. Note that the formatting functionality appears quite buggy in TOS5: formatting using EXT4 will sometimes not work and the storage may still show as exFAT afterwards. Ejecting, disconnecting and reconnecting the external storage, then reformatting seem to work though. Hope this will help others...

Return to “Time Machine”