D5-300 RAID Manager Installation Guide (macOS 11.x/12.x/13.x

FAQs and instructions only for USB series raid storage
Cell666

Re: D5-300 RAID Manager Installation Guide (macOS Monterey 12.0.1 or later)

Post by Cell666 »

So I have just bought one of the D3-500 units brand new off Amazon, and it appears it's not even compatible with Monterey because the series number doesn't have 'NEW' in it.
Not a good start when I'm desperately finding a replacement for my Drobo.

So now I have to send this back, how can I get a newer unit?
Blasttmann

Post by Blasttmann »

It's quite shocking that TM doesn't have a functioning Mac app. After all, on the website it claims "Compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux machines. No drivers needed!"

Now I have an expensive and valuable brick? I don't have a Windows computer.

Can I run Raid Manager via a virtual machine with a Windows installation?
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

Blasttmann wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 04:46 Can I run Raid Manager via a virtual machine with a Windows installation?
As long as the USB port & the TDAS are passed through to that VM, then that may work.
Blasttmann

Post by Blasttmann »

crisisacting wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 12:48
Blasttmann wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 04:46 Can I run Raid Manager via a virtual machine with a Windows installation?
As long as the USB port & the TDAS are passed through to that VM, then that may work.
Thank you!
BeantownDan

Post by BeantownDan »

I spent almost 3 hours trying everything to get the RAID manager to work on my Mac Studio M1 Max machine with MacOS 13.1 and nothing worked. It kept saying "no device connected!" even though the drives were clearly present right there on my desktop. Then I remembered I had an old 2012 intel Mac mini, so I downloaded the RAID manager software for MacOS on the old 2012 machine, connected the D5-300 to that Mac and sure enough it recognized the D5-300 instantly and I was finally able to set it up as a RAID 5. Once I did that, it remembered the RAID setting, so I then connected it back to my Mac Studio and all was fine. TLDR: the TerraMaster RAID Manager software does not work on the very latest Mac and MacOS systems and it is super frustrating.
TMnorah
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMnorah »

If your D5-300 is not a NEW version, macOS 12.0.1 and above are no longer supported. You need to install the RAID Manager client on the windows version to create a RAID mode. After creation, connect to macOS to format and use.
If your D5-300 is a NEW version, please follow the guide steps to install it.
https://forum.terra-master.com/en/view ... 86&t=3318
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
schoenal

Re: D5-300 RAID Manager Installation Guide (macOS 11.x/12.x/13.x

Post by schoenal »

So a few days ago I send this email for help. Then a few hours later got the below email back to use the forum. So HELP!!! I did follow the directions on the thread and it's still not recognized in the app. So now what? Got this a year ago and the RAID Manager STILL HASNT WORKED on my Mac. I was able to use a PC to do the initial setup (which was ridiculous) but now with a drive failing the software still doesn't work. UGH!!!

Alan

Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2023 5:26 AM
To: Terra Master
Subject: Re: New Drive software issue

Ok, I tried to install the 1.0.14 followed directions, app run does NOT detect drive (even after reboot) and now today it started beeping and appears drive 4 is failing but have NOT software to help diagnose and I assume I need software to swap it out and have it rebuild. I verified I have hardware B01-D5300NEW-S2, running OS 13.2.1.

Date: February 28, 2023 at 9:03:48 PM MST
Dear customer,

Thank you for your email.
It is still to follow this thread to install RAID Manager: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=3318

Doris
After-Sales Service team
piglet

Post by piglet »

It is stunning how awful this is.

I actually have a total now of six Terra Master products. This D5-300 has been the sixth. I've stuck with Terra Master because I think you get good quality for a very reasonable price.

However the installation of the RAID Manager for this is just a joke. I have successfully done it now, but what a ridiculous piece of nonsense it is to perform.

I've used Macs since the beginning of the 90s and nonsense like this has been a thing of the past for decades now.

This thread starts in May 2022 so this awful installation procedure has been in place for all that time. Do Terra Master care so little for their Mac users that they take no interest is correcting this?

I'm actually looking at the possibility of getting a different unit from another manufacturer, I have 30 days in which I could return this unit to Amazon. It is working but I wonder if maybe Terra Master will just give up on Mac support totally as they have no interest in sorting this out.
schoenal

Post by schoenal »

Whole heartily agree! Sadly im outside of my Amazon return window.
risenfilm

Post by risenfilm »

Ok, I hope this is relevant for D5-300's, but I found a solution for my TerraMaster drive after the same headaches everyone here is having, as RAID Manager wasn't working and was throwing security errors. So it might be worth trying (Sept 7, 2023).

MY SETUP:
2021 MacBook Pro M1 Max running MacOS Ventura 13
Terramaster TD2 D5-330 2-Bay Thunderbolt 3, running as RAID 0 with two IronWolf 8TB NAS HD's as a mirror backup of my Lacie 2Big RAID for video editing.

ISSUE:
TerraMaster RAID wasn't being recognised by Mac. Red lights on Drives, which tested fine in my Lacie.

FIX:
I was about to give up and replace this unit with something else, but there aren't really any affordable empty Thunderbolt enclosures. I found this on a TerraMaster TD2 Amazon listing in 'Reviews', a guy in 2020 got this response from TerraMaster support (how they haven't provided this solution in this forum I don't know).

Step 1: Keep the device connected to the computer, powered on and diskless (no hard disks installed);
Step 2: Check and ensure the pointer at the back of the device at the Single mode, then press and hold the “Reset” button for 10 seconds;
Step 3: The hard disk indicators will be off, then keep the device powered on and install the hard disks;
Note - after Step 3 I turned the pointer back to RAID 0, being the setup I wanted.
Step 4: The hard disks have green lights and should be then showing up in Windows “Disk Management” or Mac “Disk Utility”. Please initialize and format the disks to use.
Note - My TerraMaster device wasn't showing up on desktop, but the individual drives were showing in Disk Utility.
Step 6: In Mac Disk Utility, got to File > Raid Assistant and configure your RAID by selecting the drives. My Lacie is set up as MacOS Journaled, and it works well. I did this for the TerraMaster RAID too.
Once configured, the TD2 raid showed up on Desktop including the full disk space volume. It now works.

Hope this saves someone's sanity and wallet.