How to retrieve data on HDs from dead NAS?

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
Neut

How to retrieve data on HDs from dead NAS?

Post by Neut »

Last year I bought one of the last F4-220's from Newegg (evidently, cannot get another). It lasted many minutes (weeks, even) before it died. The physical HDs seem to be in perfect condition, I simply cannot get my data.

I have an Ubuntu PC, and connected all of the HDs, but the data is inaccessible. Each of the four HDs has four partitions (1 small ext4, two other small partitions, and one large partition). Ubuntu reads each as "empty folder", but some percentage is unavailable.

The big partitions are "Linux RAID member (version 1.2)". I had the disks in a JBOD array in the F4.

I am fantastically UN-familiar with Linux (regrettably) and would very much like to know how I can get my data from these HDs.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: How to retrieve data on HDs from dead NAS?

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Neut

How do you know the device died? Please remove all your drives, and reboot your TNAS, try if it can be found by your TNAS PC client.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Neut

Post by Neut »

I've removed the drives, rebooted everything, bought a replacement firmware flash drive from amazon, and have exchanged more email with terramaster support than I can count. It does not work. TNAS PC was never able to find the F4 again, even after re-installing it.

This is the replacement F4 Terramaster sent me when the original one died after a few months.

My data is safe (I hope), and I want to move it to different HDs. How can I mount the block data in Ubuntu?
rapcat

Post by rapcat »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Neut

Hi, I'm going to explain you how I achieved to mount the disks from my F4-210 into another linux computer.
First create a folder where you want to mount the disk, for example: 'mkdir /mnt/disk/'
Then:
To mount a LVM storage system, you must first use the "pvscan" command to detect the physical volumes and "vgscan" to detect the volume groups. Then you must use the "lvscan" command to detect the logical volumes. Finally, you can use the command "mount /dev/vgname/lvname /mnt/disk" to mount the logical volume.

That worked in my case, I have all disk configured as a "single disk" and I'm using TOS4. I can't assure you that in your case with JBOD it will work exactly in the same way. You can try. I wish you luck to have access to your data again.
Neut

Post by Neut »

Thank you; this seems promising.

Sadly, my days of frolicking in the command-line are many years past. As such, I'm not sure what to make of the output of the suggested commands:

root@BOB-II:~# pvscan
WARNING: PV /dev/md127 in VG vg0 is using an old PV header, modify the VG to update.
PV /dev/md127 VG vg0 lvm2 [17.26 TiB / 0 free]
Total: 1 [17.26 TiB] / in use: 1 [17.26 TiB] / in no VG: 0 [0 ]
root@BOB-II:~# vgscan
WARNING: PV /dev/md127 in VG vg0 is using an old PV header, modify the VG to update.
Found volume group "vg0" using metadata type lvm2
root@BOB-II:~# lvscan
ACTIVE '/dev/vg0/lv0' [17.26 TiB] inherit

I'm wary of modifying headers for physical volumes, or volume groups, as I don't want to make the data inaccessible. Nor do I know how to modify the header. Suggestions? Thots?
rapcat

Post by rapcat »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Neut

Don't need to update any headers, just try this:
Create a folder to mount the filesystem: mkdir /mnt/disk/
Then: mount /dev/vg0/lv0 /mnt/disk

Try it and comment us if it worked
rapcat

Post by rapcat »

To unmount safely: ummount /mnt/disk
Neut

Post by Neut »

I'd added a new HD to store all 17TB of data, and created a folder on it called DATA. I tried mount /dev/vg0/lv0 /mnt /DATA, but got mount point does not exist.

I can mount the TOS_VOLUME_2021-, but none of my actual data are there, just some TerraMaster program things.

Puzzling.
Neut

Post by Neut »

I notice that all four HDs have partitions that share mount points, and are linux raid members.
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdc
/dev/sdd
/dev/sde

Every one of these has four partitions that each have the same mount point (/dev/md125 or 126 or127). The largest partition on each is /md126, /md125 is the TOSSWAP (TOS is the crappy NAS interface program), /md127 is teh UTOSCORE partition. The ext4 partition on each of them is a UTOSDISK 250MB partition (the actual OS, I presume), and is not a linux raid member.

mount /dev/md126?
rapcat

Post by rapcat »

Neut wrote: 28 Jan 2023, 09:36 I'd added a new HD to store all 17TB of data, and created a folder on it called DATA. I tried mount /dev/vg0/lv0 /mnt /DATA, but got mount point does not exist.

Puzzling.
You need to figure out what is the correct path of the "DATA" folder in your new attached hard drive. It's not "/mnt/DATA"