VLAN support for networking on NAS

Discussion on apps, protocols, APIs, specifications, and more. You are welcome to join us as a TOS app developer!
Reeceydoodle

VLAN support for networking on NAS

Post by Reeceydoodle »

Hello,

I have a TNAS F2-422 and I've come across some odd behaviour.
I have the following setup:
NAS
1Gb connection to my main router (192.168.1.91 /24)
10Gb connection (P2P) to my main server (10.1.0.5 /30)

Server
1Gb connection to network (192.168.2.91 /24)
10Gb connection (P2P) to my NAS (10.1.0.6 /30)

The main goal: Have a 10Gb link between the NAS and Server so as to not use the bandwidth on the 1Gb link during backups of the main server
What's happening: Transfers are happening over the 1Gb link when connecting to 10.1.0.5 on the main server.
From what I understand, this should not be possible, however even when I unplug the 10Gb link, the connection is still active to 10.1.0.5 (how??)

Has anyone come across this and is there a way to implement a VLAN configuration on the NAS to separate the network card configurations?

Thanks in advance!
Hello!
I'm new to the forums, not new to TNAS, I recently figured the command line out and so will be exploring ways to troubleshoot / resolve some problems I've experienced in effort to help others in the same situation.

Hopefully I can help!
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: VLAN support for networking on NAS

Post by TMRyan »

Maybe you can edit it while trying to use the 10GB network port to set the default gateway to 10GB network port.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
Reeceydoodle

Post by Reeceydoodle »

Hi TMRyan,

Thanks for your reply, I will give this a go later today and let you know how it turned out.

Thanks,

Reece
Hello!
I'm new to the forums, not new to TNAS, I recently figured the command line out and so will be exploring ways to troubleshoot / resolve some problems I've experienced in effort to help others in the same situation.

Hopefully I can help!
Reeceydoodle

Post by Reeceydoodle »

Hi,

I'm afraid this did not work, all traffic is passing over the 1Gb link and not the 10Gb link, it's almost like the NAS has made the 10Gb link redundant unless needed, once the 1Gb cable is removed, all traffic is forced to go over the 10Gb link, however as it's P2P, internet connection on the NAS is broken this way.

To confirm, the network ports have not been bonded, so this behaviour shouldn't be observed.

TOS version is 4.2.40, server is Windows Server 2019 Standard, both are up to date, drivers are up to date.

Reboot of the Windows server didn't change anything either

The NAS now also states the internet is disconnected when setting the P2P connection as the default gateway
Hello!

Hopefully I can help!
Reeceydoodle

SOLUTION: VLAN support for networking on NAS

Post by Reeceydoodle »

Hi,

So I've found the issue.
Turns out it wasn't the NAS or the server causing the problem, my router was sending the traffic out to the internet and looping back in to get to its destination. I don't know how this worked but it did.
I set my router to statically route to a blackhole IP address so the router drops the packets rather than trying to find the destination and now the traffic for the 10.0.0.4/32 range is forced over the 10Gb link!

Tested and working even after rebooting all devices.

Thank you for taking a look at this one anyway, your time is much appreciated!

Feel free to close the topic.

Thanks,

Reece
Hello!

Hopefully I can help!

Return to “Developer Discussion Room”