D2-310 move complete RAID to TD2 TB3

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
rilak

D2-310 move complete RAID to TD2 TB3

Post by rilak »

Hi,

before starting with copying 8TB of data I would like to ask if it would be possible to move the HDDs from the D2-310 DAS to the new TD2 device without losing the data?
My idea was to move both HDD sledges to the new DAS later. At the moment it's confihured with RAID 1.

Regards Rilak
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: D2-310 move complete RAID to TD2 TB3

Post by TMSupport »

This is not recommended.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
rilak

Post by rilak »

Ok, but that sounds not 100% as a no.
Is it only not recommended or not possible? Is there the same raid controller at both devices in use? I know that it's not the best way, but both HDDs have the same data on it and if I'm right it's also possible to read the data out of one HDD if I mount it at a PC.
Regards Rilak
TMLyy
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMLyy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}rilak

Product different models, hardware RAID mode and hard disk created by the RAID pattern inconsistent easy confusion, misoperation will lead to the risk of data loss.
In addition, D2 and TD2 performance is not the same, do not recommend you use it this way.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
rilak

Post by rilak »

Thank you for the additional information, different RAID controller is an argument.

It goes without saying that D2 and TD2 have different speed but what has this to do with my question? It doesn't matter in this case.
For better understanding ... I have an old MacPro (5.1) which doesn't work with my TD2 TB3 DAS but I need this machine to collect nearly 8TB of data , creating old bootable VMs etc. ... anyway I have to use it. The idea was to buy a used slower USB3 RAID NAS (D2-310) to collect all the data there and move the HDD sledges to the TD2 which is working fine at the new mac studio.

Seems it's not possible so I will search for a plan B for my problem ;-).
Kind Regards