hard drive spins down after 1 minute

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
foopydog

hard drive spins down after 1 minute

Post by foopydog »

Just installed new D2-310 with two WD enterprise hard drives.
* Western Digital 8TB Ultrastar DC HC320 SATA HDD - 7200 RPM Class, SATA 6 Gb/s, 256MB Cache, 3.5" - HUS728T8TALE6L4
I have two of these drives, configured as RAID-1.

I found that the device is very fast, transferring 250MB/s from local storage. This is basically the fastest sequential transfer possible for a 7200 rpm hard drive.

But the PROBLEM i have is that the hard drive will spin down after less than 1 minute. It seems that every time I access the device, it takes 15 seconds for both discs to spin up. So now, my super-fast storage is slow, because I have to wait for the discs to spin up, every time I access it.

I don't think this is a Terramaster problem, because there is nothing to configure with this device. I don't think this is a windows problem, because I have used other external hard drives over USB that don't have this problem.

I think it might be an issue with these particular enterprise hard drives. They are NOT listed as compatible with this device. I assumed an Enterprise drive is as good or better than a NAS drive - so they would obviously be compatible. Maybe the disks need to be told to stay awake or they go to sleep immediately and this is part of their Enterprise behavior. I've never heard of such a thing.

I need help.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: hard drive spins down after 1 minute

Post by TMroy »

Hi, as there is no any software inside D2-310 to control drive activity. Your drive just works as what it has been designed to work as.
so I am sorry, we can't give you any solution here. Please check the drive supplier if there is new firmware to update your drives, so that they can act as what you like.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)