"Warning TNAS is at risk!" message

Discussion about USB Copy.
giqbufilu

"Warning TNAS is at risk!" message

Post by giqbufilu »

Hi, I have a F2-421 for a month now, so I have have had only the opportunity to use USB Copy for backing up my TNAS BTRFS storage data to an attached external USB drive (WD Elements 12 TB, Ext4-formatted by TOS).
With my first attached USB drive there were no problems. Then I changed the USB drive to another (same model) in order to have a second backup storage if the first becomes infected by Ransomware.

Then the problems started:
1) The name of the second USB drive is still USB disk 1, also the so-created usbshare1 folder. This itself is not a problem, but USB Copy detected that it was a different USB drive and therefore all my TNAS to USB jobs were unusable (device removed status).
2) Ok, then I recreated the same USB Copy backup jobs for the 2nd USB drive with different names. I also created slightly different-named target folders on the USB drive (by the way, it would be nice if the target folders do not have to already exist when creating a backup job, USB Copy could create them by itself would be more user-friendly).
3) Then I started such a new created job: it did its job fine, but afterwards I am seeing on my TOS desktop always the Warning "TNAS is at risk!"
4) This message does not disappear even if one deletes all the affected files or even reformats the USB drive!
5) When selecting the "More" button after a while a list of affected files is shown with the message: "Warning TNAS is suffering from following risks, Therfore, please deal with each one at the first available opportunity. If you fail to do so, your TNAS is unlikely to work effectively. - Something abnormal is occupying your TNAS system file storage space"

As written above this warning does not disappear any more! It doesn't matter whether one deletes the affected files, reformats the USB drive, unmount and unplug the USB drive: then the list of affected files is just empty, but the warning remains!!!!!

And after reformatting the USB drive, all backup jobs for the 1st and 2nd USB drive disappeared! If you recreate a backup job, even after reinstalling USB copy and reformatting the USB drive using TOS, the same files as before reappear on the list. I have checked these files with CLAM, ESET and Windows Antivirus and VirusTotal: everything is fine with them. I compared the backupped files on the USB disk with the corresponding files on the TNAS storage: 100% binary equal! On TNAS storage no warning (thank goodness), on USB drive they reproducively generate the warning!

I don't know what to do to solve this problem. Please help!

Giq Bufilu
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: "Warning TNAS is at risk!" message

Post by TMSupport »

Hi, your email has been received.
As for the issue that TNAS is at risk, please click More and delete all the abnormal files listed there.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
giqbufilu

Post by giqbufilu »

Hi, here you can see the TNAS warning on the desktop:
Warning TNAS is at risk on desktop.png
Warning TNAS is at risk on desktop.png (20.64 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
And here is the warning dialog which pops up when pressing "More":
Warning with list of affected files.png
Warning with list of affected files.png (13.46 KiB) Viewed 5855 times

When having deleted all affected files and detached the USB disk the warning remains:
Warning remains even after deleting and no USB disk attached.png
. When clicking on "More" the same dialog shows up with an empty list of affected files.

I will post the screenshot with the next post since attaching does not work for the 4th file ;-)

Giq Bufilu
giqbufilu

Post by giqbufilu »

This is the dialog with an empty list of files.
Warning remains with an empty list.png
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I think there is bug here, will report it to the tech team.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
giqbufilu

Post by giqbufilu »

Thank you for your support. I am awaiting a solution ;)

If you require any logs, please let me know: I could tar them via SSH login.

Giq
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

May I have a look the USB copy destination folder on your TNAS device?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

giqbufilu wrote: 08 May 2020, 19:38 This is the dialog with an empty list of files. Warning remains with an empty list.png
Hi Giq,
We may already know what caused the problem. You may remove the USB drive when the USB copy is still in process.
We will improve it in next release. Thank you for your feedback.

Temporary solution is, do not remove your USB drive during copying, delete the folders already wrote into the system folder, refresh
web page, the warning message will be gone.
giqbufilu

Post by giqbufilu »

Hi Support Team,

which system folders shall I delete? Or files? Some files or folders under /etc/usbcopyist/? Or under /tmp?

Giq
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I just saw that you actually already deleted the file from the warning page. Just refresh your web page, that should be fine.