Windows Image repeat backup errors | directory is corrupted?

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
alexanderz2000

Windows Image repeat backup errors | directory is corrupted?

Post by alexanderz2000 »

Hello all,
I just got this new TNAS had having so much trouble with it and need help.
I use it to backup all my windows server images like my other WD NAS (which works fine but to old)
Each server has Iperius backup and it creates a windows image onto the TNAS fine 'the first time' so it seems!

When the backup RE-runs I get an error saying:
\\192.168.1.191\Copia115_C
The backup of volume Local Disk SSD(C:) could not be completed. Error: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.[/b][/b][/b]

The backup fails, if i delete the previous backup, a New backup can be created but i don't even if the backup is any good to begin with now.
I'm using the SMB, hence the IP/folder name above, Or should i be using NFS??
It works fine when i work with regular files, like music, general data/files but not with windows Images, what am i doing wrong or does the terramaster not support a windows backup image done every few days?
Keep in mind, when a windows backup is created and Iperius runs again, the software deletes the previous backup which is normal, then it creates a new backup to replace the previous backup, that's how it should work.
Please advise

i've tried emailing with the logs but i keep getting bounce back, the email is only 7mgs
titanrx8

Re: Windows Image repeat backup errors | directory is corrupted?

Post by titanrx8 »

alexanderz2000 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 03:11 Hello all,
I just got this new TNAS had having so much trouble with it and need help.
I use it to backup all my windows server images like my other WD NAS (which works fine but to old)
Each server has Iperius backup and it creates a windows image onto the TNAS fine 'the first time' so it seems!

When the backup RE-runs I get an error saying:
\\192.168.1.191\Copia115_C
The backup of volume Local Disk SSD(C:) could not be completed. Error: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.[/b][/b][/b]

The backup fails, if i delete the previous backup, a New backup can be created but i don't even if the backup is any good to begin with now.
I'm using the SMB, hence the IP/folder name above, Or should i be using NFS??
It works fine when i work with regular files, like music, general data/files but not with windows Images, what am i doing wrong or does the terramaster not support a windows backup image done every few days?
Keep in mind, when a windows backup is created and Iperius runs again, the software deletes the previous backup which is normal, then it creates a new backup to replace the previous backup, that's how it should work.
Please advise

i've tried emailing with the logs but i keep getting bounce back, the email is only 7mgs
Do you have the encryption turned on for the TNAS shared folder where your backups are written? I sometimes use the native Win10 image backup and it only works in an un-encrypted folder.
alexanderz2000

Post by alexanderz2000 »

Hi,

I don't, i also removed antivirus thinking it was getting in the way, i'm backup up W2003, 2008 and 2012, not any W10, this TNAS is for my small business network for recovery so i can restore a server using a backup image on the NAS if needed.

The file system was btrfs and thought that was the problem and formatted to EXT4, the problem persists and I have the correct permissions setup.
The Firewall is also disabled/not setup just in case.

I've ran the same backup from the same server to my WD NAS and it works so i know it's not Iperius backup software or both would be failing.
It's all so unclear which file system i should be using to begin with for windows image backups or .bkf files, I tried both Ext4 or BTRFS but having the same problem no matter what i do. I"ve also tried Aomei backup and it just locks up but it's also a very bad software when you need to restore something and a total nightmare. :cry:

What other things can i try? I wish there was remote help so they can see what's going on but never realized that Terramaster doesn't have phone support with new under warranty devices. If i can't get this fixed in the next few days, i'm going to return it and try something else but I really like how this is setup, i just need this to work as it should.

thoughts?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

May I know your model no, TOS version? and what drives you installed, did you make any RAID configuration for them? is your drive healthy?
Did you have any storage quota settings to your backup destination folder? did yo set correct permission for that folder?

I also found articles regarding Iperius image backup, but not sure this can fit to your case. Just for reference.
https://www.iperiusbackup.net/en/error- ... corrupted/

https://www.ubackup.com/backup-restore/ ... -4348.html

by the way, which email address you said it bounce back your email?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
alexanderz2000

Post by alexanderz2000 »

Hi,

I've got the F-2 221 running the latest version Tos, 4.2.15 update but not having any luck here.
I read both link but not exactly my issue, however very close on the first link. I'm going to try the other version and also just noticed that Iperious has a new version that correct some issues:

*Added a check in the Windows Drive Image that in some cases avoids an error when backing up to a volume with no drive letter
*Iperius Drive Image: Fixed a problem in the listing of discs on some systems

I tried the new version but still fails, i'll try the other option of creating a system image, I'm just terrified that a restore image may not work or be corrupted without knowing. :o
So, if i ever need to restore a system, say server 2012 and download it to the servers D drive (provided the it still up and running), can I simply restore the OS using the standard way and insert install disk and restore image from D if i created it using the Iperius drive image / clone disk / P2v option?
If yes, the I presume the same can be done loading the image to a USB using it in the normal fashion to restore my server, correct?

I've been online on their support portal for over 7hrs now and only had a few words back from them, 'we are reading this' and we'll get back to you shortly, but never did.

Oh, the email address i used was:
The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'support@terra-master.com' on 9/16/2021 11:33 AM
552 5.7.0 message content and attachment content guidelines. h127sm3601470pfe.191 - gsmtp
Hardfecx

Post by Hardfecx »

Maybe try another backup software like Acronis True Image? Works fine here
alexanderz2000

Post by alexanderz2000 »

It doesn't have the features and ease of Iperious, i've been using this software for quite some time and it's never let me down. I believe the problem is the NAS/software/format, my other WD NAS doesn't have any issues with backup from Iperious. I ran a few test backups to the D drives of the servers and work just fine so it's the NAS and a critical bug or incompatibility they don't know about.

I've also been chatting with support with endless emails of asking me to download centralized backup onto the NAS 'which does not exist in the app list', i have no clue why he is asking this and provides no information when i ask, He just keeps saying it's there, look, look.. so frustrating, I'm about to return this NAS and try the Synology. I don't want to go through all that trouble but If i can't get this working today, i'll need to take that route.
tech support directly from Terramaster is awful! I'm hoping someone will have an answer today or it goes back. :(
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi! We are already verifying this issue, please be patient.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
alexanderz2000

Post by alexanderz2000 »

Ok, i'll leave it one network till monday to see if there's a fix
I need to return it before 30 days back to the seller so time is of the essence.
thank you and please let me know what is found.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi!
Since the mirror backup requirements of windows are quite special, it is necessary to enable ""strict allocate". But this option of TNAS is not enabled by default, which causes the mirror backup of windows to fail.
Here are the solutions to this issue.
then execute

Code: Select all

vi /etc/samba/smb-extend.conf
Change "strict allocate = no" to "strict allocate = yes".
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)