f4-210 frequent unscheduled shutdown/restart

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: f4-210 frequent unscheduled shutdown/restart

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}ianbhenderson73

The power control board of your TNAS may be failed, please email to the service team for warranty service.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

ianbhenderson73 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 05:07 At present the unit is configured to shut itself down at 4am every day, and reawaken at 4:05am.
im curious why do you feel the need to turn it off for 5 minutes at 4am? for what purpose are you shutting it down and powering it back up 5 minutes later?
F2-210

Hardfecx

Post by Hardfecx »

sianderson wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 21:56 im curious why do you feel the need to turn it off for 5 minutes at 4am? for what purpose are you shutting it down and powering it back up 5 minutes later?
mee too, it's nonsense
ianbhenderson73

Post by ianbhenderson73 »

sianderson wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 21:56
ianbhenderson73 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 05:07 At present the unit is configured to shut itself down at 4am every day, and reawaken at 4:05am.
im curious why do you feel the need to turn it off for 5 minutes at 4am? for what purpose are you shutting it down and powering it back up 5 minutes later?
My thinking is that by doing that, it clears down the memory.

To explain, my IT background is with Microsoft Windows which is notoriously bad for memory leakage and poor garbage collection. If that approach isn’t necessary then I’ll disable it.
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

ianbhenderson73 wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 04:41
sianderson wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 21:56
My thinking is that by doing that, it clears down the memory.

To explain, my IT background is with Microsoft Windows which is notoriously bad for memory leakage and poor garbage collection. If that approach isn’t necessary then I’ll disable it.
If you have apps that do things like re-inspect or re-org a database everytime you boot up, you are introducting load and disk activity which might slow down other processes and add to disk wear. I do scheduled shut downs for 7 hours and on bootup a couple of apps take over 100% of cpu for 20-30 minutes. Without rebooting, the apps would only run those routines once per week.
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

ianbhenderson73 wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 04:41 My thinking is that by doing that, it clears down the memory.

i personally just leave mine running (as thats what they are designed for), it seems to maintain its ram level etc without any problems, in the past there have been memory leaks but TM have released fixes for them quite quickly, the latest version for me is stable

i'm just thinking you are perhaps adding extra pressure on the nas drive and hard drives by having it shut down and boot up all the time, and then perhaps consider a weekly or monthly shutdown, but daily seems overkill
F2-210

ianbhenderson73

Post by ianbhenderson73 »

sianderson wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 18:21
ianbhenderson73 wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 04:41 My thinking is that by doing that, it clears down the memory.

i personally just leave mine running (as thats what they are designed for), it seems to maintain its ram level etc without any problems, in the past there have been memory leaks but TM have released fixes for them quite quickly, the latest version for me is stable

i'm just thinking you are perhaps adding extra pressure on the nas drive and hard drives by having it shut down and boot up all the time, and then perhaps consider a weekly or monthly shutdown, but daily seems overkill
It seems that Terramaster have diagnosed it as a fault with the power switch. I suspect that my unit has been part of a bad manufacturing run because a colleague of mine bought the same unit on the same day from the same source.

Terramaster have been in touch to arrange a swap for a new unit. Once that unit is available, I’ll perhaps look at scheduling the unit to automatically restart occasionally - your suggestion of once a month sounds like the winner there.