UPS power

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
jrosen

UPS power

Post by jrosen »

I bought a Cyberpower UPS - and enabled UPS support. I see it is connected and set the power off to 5 seconds. I do see that after 5 seconds, I cannot reach the web portal - but the NAS doesnt actually turn all the way off (and it keeps beeping). Is this expected? I was assuming it would be able to power iteself all the way off..I dont really want this on and beeping.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: UPS power

Post by TMSupport »

What's your TNAS model number and current TOS version?
Is it possible to take a small video to show us the status and beeping sound after it gets into security mode?
After getting into security mode, the TNAS could not be accessed or operated, all the service would be shut down. The UPS will sound, the TNAS won't beep.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
jrosen

Post by jrosen »

F2-221
4.2.09-2101251735

You are correct, the UPS was making the beep, not the NAS. I really just want the NAS to fully power off if its on the UPS for more than 2 minutes.

I found the NUT UPS config files. It looks like the shutdown line is still commented out. Is it as easy as uncommenting that line?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

The NAS would be powered off when the UPS has no power.
As for editing the UPS config file, it's not suggested to do so. It may affect some other features in TOS.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
jrosen

Post by jrosen »

Ok, If its 'secure mode' then why not just shut it down vs. draining the UPS (which has other things plugged in). I would request a feature consideration that instead of 'secure mode'..just power it off.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Thanks for the suggestion. The requested option will be reported to the tech dept here.
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

TMSupport wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 11:32 The NAS would be powered off when the UPS has no power.
not a very useful comment here, thats like saying the nas would be powered off if you just pulled the power cable from it? surely you arent suggesting we just do this to power down the nas drive correctly?

the idea of a UPS is to safely power down the nas drive while it still has some power left in it rather than facing a sudden power cut
F2-210

TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

A safe mode can bring NAS get back to work very quickly as soon as the electricity supply resume. For a home user, you may think this is not the way you prefer, but for a cooperation user, it is a great helpful feature.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
jrosen

Post by jrosen »

Im not arguing to remove the ability to stay running..I get it. What Im asking for is an ADDITIONAL scenario which honestly looks like removing a comment from the config file to make this work. Im in california and the power here sucks. My last NAS f2-220 DIED because the power kept going off. So I had to BUY a new NAS and I bought a UPS. I dont care if my NAS stays running - if on battery for more than a min (or 5 min, or whatever) I want it to POWER OFF. I dont want secure mode (which seems like the worst idea..its running, but not really so to get out of secure mode,,what power off and reboot anyway?) and I dont want it to run on battery until my UPS dies. I want it to POWER OFF after a short period of time.

You may have lots of reasons why THIS scenario isnt important to you..but thats not what IM asking for help with. NUT can do it - so please, focus on what I think would make this product better for me (and probably someone else).
Make sense?
Sereno011

Post by Sereno011 »

TMroy wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 22:32 A safe mode can bring NAS get back to work very quickly as soon as the electricity supply resume. For a home user, you may think this is not the way you prefer, but for a cooperation user, it is a great helpful feature.
That may be true for a corporate use case but the majority of these TNAS units are for the home office market. Give the customer the control and please let us shut them down.