5.1.28 - i need help

The discussion here is limited to topics related to the system update itself. Please post the functional issues after the system update to the corresponding other forums.
kenfrog

5.1.28 - i need help

Post by kenfrog »

Hello team,

I need help, I cant get anything to load. i have attempted to use the bootloader and i'm stuck at the initstep with ssh at port 9222 and no admin access to the system. the ini step wants to wipe my disks and reload 60TB of data ( i can't do that ).

I'm stuck after trying to load the update 5.1.28 this morning and having rebooted and reflashed and attempted many other recovery methods.

The boot disk is flashed to 5.124 but not loading and will not mount or share anything and all ports access has been reset or removed. Root account is known but not working.

Currently the disks of the F5-$22 have to be pulled half way out to boot to a ini page at the ip and I get please insert the disks, once i do that step the installer will say one of two things - Your disk are damaged or unsupported or It will allow me to get to the install 5.1.24 TOS and it gets to 55/65 then 70% and i get an error about my disks or the folders cant be created on the disk because of a disk error (more likely that the TOS folders are in place already).

I have an old config backup from TNAS-F5-422_5.0.163 in a zip with the old config and raid (5) setup. the 5 disks are all one Volume in raid 5 ext4 format.

I need help with getting TOS to load fully or install diskless and reimporting the disk array.

I cant imagine that wiping the 50+tb of data is suggested here. I know linux well and understand we can just add disks in read-only mode in a raid 5 config table and swap them around until the array works, and remount to rw mode. As nothing has changed and the disks are in place and not moved the reimport or rebuild of the raid should be easy.

Please help me recover from this bad/broken update that caused the NAS to stop working.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: 5.1.28 - i need help

Post by TMSupport »

A new bootloader program has been updated on the server, please try to shut down the TNAS and reinstall TOS.
If there are still problems, you can contact our tech team to check remotely.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
kenfrog

Post by kenfrog »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMSupport

I have attempted these steps and sent email to support as the data is there just the TOS and bootloader will not finish nor get me back to any working TOS version.

I got the 5.1.24 verision to load but only 55% and then it crashed and the OS would not allow SSH nor WEBgui nor would the system share out anything. I would mount my disks but nothing worked.

Pending a session to work with remote support on this.
kenfrog

Post by kenfrog »

i found a port on the forum that said to ignore the first prompt and install TOS manually from the INS file - i did that step and now the system is booting and asking me to setup the Root account and create a storage volume.

great - but I cant do that without losing data. here is an image of the web page now.

please email or contact me - so we can get this fixed and working : ) - i have sent in two emails now and added the image to support(at)TerramasterSupport
Thanks
kenfrog

Post by kenfrog »

NOPE Support tried to blame me for this update killing the OS and now I can wipe or pay for data recovery :/

Really, this is how a customer is treated ??
Please. - actual reply : "Your system originally had a very old version, and then you installed the latest system, which spanned several major versions. This is not a normal update path"

Lets Review got the system new with version 4.2.15 on it updated to 4.2.16 the next day in Oct 2021. SO that is OLD and I applied the updates over time. I would check often and keep applying updates to avoid being hacked, broken and put up with many flaky ass updates to keep a smooth running system and keep my data. HOW is this not the normal update path ??? What DONT do Updates ??? Really? Also lets note that the first thing that the tech did was re-partition the disks, before checking anything about them,,, only two hours later did he confirm that the raid was a raid 5 with 5 disks and ext4 and then re-partition them again then noticed that he was on 5.1.24 and wanted to revert this system to 4.2.40 and bootloader bzImage_V4.9.19 ?? WHAT? and how am i to blame when he cant even use WinSCP to copy the bootloader to the linux system from windows ? ?? COME ON here!!!!!

Remove this post all you want I'm not going to keep quite about this at all - 60TB lost because of these clowns OR i can pay upwards of $600-$2800 for data recovery.... .. run from these people and set fire to these devices.

Any of you are one bad update and BANG have a $800 paper weight.

Good thing i work in tech : ) gonna be letting anyone and everyone know to avoid TerraMaster!!!!!!
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

As reported by our engineer, he had a remote session to your device, and he found that your RAID metadata has been modified, all your disk members inside your RAID became "Device role:active device 0", so that your RAID failed to reform. As RAID metadata can only be managed by mdadm utility, a TOS system update does not call the mdadm and change RAID metadata.

As you said, "I have an old config backup from TNAS-F5-422_5.0.163 in a zip with the old config and raid (5) setup.", from my knowledge there is not a UI on TOS to export the raid 5 setup and configuration. Our initial suspicion is that you overwrote the original raid metadata when trying to restore the raid setup manually.

Now the only option for you now is to restore your data via a third party data recovery service.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
kenfrog

Post by kenfrog »

TMroy wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 16:16 As reported by our engineer, he had a remote session to your device, and he found that your RAID metadata has been modified, all your disk members inside your RAID became "Device role:active device 0", so that your RAID failed to reform. As RAID metadata can only be managed by mdadm utility, a TOS system update does not call the mdadm and change RAID metadata.

As you said, "I have an old config backup from TNAS-F5-422_5.0.163 in a zip with the old config and raid (5) setup.", from my knowledge there is not a UI on TOS to export the raid 5 setup and configuration. Our initial suspicion is that you overwrote the original raid metadata when trying to restore the raid setup manually.

Now the only option for you now is to restore your data via a third party data recovery service.

1st off this is not true - you assume that i have modified something - i did not your update did. second off, the back up i have in a zip is from the backup config UI in TOS that has all of the data.
Your tech remoted to the NAS and reverted the Bootloader and OS bac to 4.1.x and repartitioned the disks before asking me what the raid was. so you are incorrect again in that Your team thinks i did anything to the raid config.

Your update caused my NAS to be down, Your team member repartitioned the disks before working to reassemble the disks. then tried to blame me ??? NO THIS IS THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER HAD!
This kinda finger pointing is for little children, 5.1.29 update killed this NAS, along with Your Techs work to now make my disks useless. SO your team is going to assume and claim that I broke this device so that you don't have to pay for my data recovery.

Simple - i will make sure everyone i know and all of the customers I support know that YOUR company should be avoided.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Then sorry, maybe the team gave me the wrong information, I will check with them again.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)