No icons on TOS desktop, NAS sluggish, then becoming unresponsive and inaccessible

The discussion here is limited to topics related to the system update itself. Please post the functional issues after the system update to the corresponding other forums.
zuc

No icons on TOS desktop, NAS sluggish, then becoming unresponsive and inaccessible

Post by zuc »

Hi,

F2-421 on TOS 5.0.176-00227.
After enabling the "Snapshot" feature, during the first scheduled backup the NAS crashed and now:
- every time I boot the NAS, nothing can be seen on the OS desktop (no icons, only the top bar with notifications, etc.)
- after a few minutes, the NAS becomes incredibly sluggish until it stops working (can no longer access shares, can no longer log into OS interface)
- I CAN'T RETRIEVE MY FILES FROM THE NETWORK SHARES: the copy stops as soon as the NAS becomes sluggish, I have 5TB of data I can no longer access!!!!!!!

Any advice on how to fix this or at least get my data back so I can format and restart the whole thing?
I already tried removing disk no.2 and booting the nas with only disk no. 1 in: same behaviour
Then I tried switching disks (reinserting disk no.2 and removing disk no.1, therefore booting the nas from disk n.2 - same thing.

Please advice, I NEED TO BE ABLE TO ACCESS MY DATA, this is why I bought the NAS in the first place!

Thanks in advance.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: No icons on TOS desktop, NAS sluggish, then becoming unresponsive and inaccessible

Post by TMSupport »

The file system may be corrupted.
What RAID was created?
If it is a single disk or RAID 1, you can try to install the system with a new hard disk, and then insert the old hard disk to back up the data.
Repair the file system after backing up the data.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
zuc

Re: No icons on TOS desktop, NAS sluggish, then becoming unresponsive and inaccessible

Post by zuc »

The RAID is a RAID 1, mirrored 8TB HDD.
I am unable to login via SSH, connection is refused.
Is there any way to extract the data from one of the 2 drives by mounting it directly on a Windows OS machine?
Otherwise, how do I install the system in a new HDD and keep it from erasing the data in the other as soon as I put it in?
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

You can wait for us to release the new system, which may improve.
To extract data from one of the two drives by installing it directly on a Windows machine requires some professional data recovery software, such as UFS explorer.
When installing the system with a new disk, if you do not select the old disk to create a new volume or storage pool, data will not be deleted.
If you need to export data from a new disk, you can contact our technical support team to back up the data.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
JWilsonJr

Post by JWilsonJr »

I have an F5-422 recently updated to TOS 5 (TOS_X642.0_5.0.176_00227_2210111430) using the recommended procedure, and I also enabled doing snapshots within the Control Panel. I have all slots populated with similar 8TB drives and only one volume using BTRFS RAID, and the only app installed is Plex. All seemed normal for the first day or two, now I seem to be having the same symptoms where there are no icons on the desktop after logging-in with my admin account. I can open the System Info panel from the icon across the top of the screen, and disk activity seems normal, but as the previous user described, within just a few minutes, the system shows the "sluggish" message and soon after that, I lose network access to shares. I'd be happy to turn off the snapshot feature, if that's what's causing the problem, but without the desktop icons, I can't launch the Control Panel or anything to make any changes to the system, or enable remote-access to allow a technician to log-on remotely or anything. Please advise!
-John
wonkie

Post by wonkie »

JWilsonJr did you find a solution to this? I am having the same issue.
JWilsonJr

Post by JWilsonJr »

In a word, no.

Among many other things, I attempted to downgrade to the TOS version 4 by pulling all the drives, starting-up the NAS to reach the bootloader, then inserting the drives again and installing the TOS from a pre-downloaded copy, but that also doesn't work and leaves the NAS in a state where it seems to be running but I can't access it or access the shares over the network (as if there's stuff left-over from the TOS5 installation that mucks-up the installation of TOS4, or something).

Quite frankly, I had given up on the thing for a while, and have directed my efforts on other projects that aren't quite as frustrating and time-consuming. I still intend to try to continue troubleshooting, but haven't felt like putting more time and effort into it for a while. I have not yet attempted a direct interaction with TerraMaster Support via their e-mail address, so that will probably be my next attempt, but I'm a little surprised and dismayed that nobody from TerraMaster has responded to my post here (since there are responses to others from TerraMaster folks here).
wonkie

Post by wonkie »

Thanks for the reply. I have gone down a similar path and no luck. A 4.2 rollback puts it in a perpetual loading screen. On 5 I've resorted to downloading my data 15 minutes at a time before it locks up. Good luck you to you.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Sorry for the same issue for you. As the file system defragment is enabled by default in TOS 5, some devices may be very busy in processing defragment and very slow to respond. You can wait for the process to complete or update your system to TOS 5.1, the final version is coming soon.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
JWilsonJr

Post by JWilsonJr »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy

OK, I waited for the 5.1 version to come out and installed that. Had to pull all the drives, start the NAS, log-in with the app on the PC, push in the drives when it said to, waited for the drive check to finish, then install the TOS from a downloaded file using the Custom option (as is described elsewhere on the forum), but the symptoms are even worse. The web interface doesn't load at all, not even to the screen to allow me to log-on. I think the shares from the NAS are accessible for a brief time, but only a couple of minutes. A few minutes after booting, the shares become inaccessible and the PC app no longer finds a NAS on the network. I nevertheless let the NAS remain running another 24 hours, but still could not access the NAS via any method (accessing the shares, loading the web interface, or even finding the NAS on the network with the PC app).

Any new suggestions?