How easy is it to go back to TOS4?

The discussion here is limited to topics related to the system update itself. Please post the functional issues after the system update to the corresponding other forums.
SquarePeg
Wales

How easy is it to go back to TOS4?

Post by SquarePeg »

Since I updated my F5-221 to TOS5, I have had nothing but problems. The latest one is anytime Emby is shutdown; it won't restart and I have to delete the shared Emby folder and reinstall Emby again, meaning I have to set it up from scratch.
TOS 4 didn't have any of these issues and I am fed up already.
How easy is it to go back to TOS4? I know I will have to wipe the drives as they are currently formatted as BTRFS. I just can't put up with this all the time.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: How easy is it to go back to TOS4?

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}SquarePeg

You need to report the issue to Emby. it may be some issues inside the package Emby built for TOS 5.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
SquarePeg
Wales

Post by SquarePeg »

It's not. It's the way TOS5 does things. I've had no end of issues since 'upgrading' and I'm sick of it.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}SquarePeg

If you want to build any app for TOS 5, you have to follow the new app development guide, the app must use the parameters, API, and startup script defined by TerraMaster tech team. More than 100 applications have been successfully run on TOS 5. The new Emby for TOS 5 is a total different version from the one for TOS 4, it must follow the development guide too.

why such people so confident with something he actually does not know? OK, you believe your judge, I shut up now.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
SquarePeg
Wales

Post by SquarePeg »

I have persisted with TOS5 and Emby and Plex both randomly stop responding/disconnecting. How easy is it to go back to TOS4 and can anyone tell me how to do it in a non-destructive way?
I will wipe everything if absolutely necessary but I'd rather not.

Thanks in advance
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

If the system stop to respond and loss connection, rather than a software issue, that reason could be a hardware issue like memory issues, hard drives issues, or file system issues. I recommended you check if there is any issue with your drives or file system.

Please do a SMART long test to determine if there is any failure on your drives, to do a SMART long test, please go to "control panel > storage > hard drive > SMART", create a test task, select "long test" for all drives.

If your drives show fine after the test, then you can try to reinstall the system to recover the defective system files.

How to read the SMART test report?
Please pay attention to several critical attributes like "reallocated_sector_count", "current_pending_sector", if the value in "Raw data" > 0, that means bad sectors are happening on your drives. You may need to consider replacing your drive to avoid data loss.
SquarePeg
Wales

Post by SquarePeg »

The NAS is still working it's not hardware related - either Plex or Emby stops responding. Plex will start back up by Emby won't. This has only been happening since 'upgrading' to TOS 5 which is the worst mistake I ever made. That's why I want to know how to go back to v4 without losing my data if possible. If not, I will back everything up on there, wipe and reinstall. I just want to know how easy/possible it is
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

{L_BUTTON_AT}SquarePeg

There's no direct downgrade option.

You will need to backup, wipe & initialize again.

There's zero guarantee that you won't have the same issues on TOS 4 if it's application version related, however since you can't seem to wait for updates from either Plex or Emby to resolve the issue on TOS 5, go ahead & waste hours to at least a day going back.
SquarePeg
Wales

Post by SquarePeg »

It's been happening since November. There have been a few updated versions which I have tried both as in-place updates and 'nuke and pave' but the issue remains. TOS5 is not ready.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I do not plan to convince you not to install TOS 4. But at least you need to find out where is the issue.

1. database corrupt?
2. file system corrupt?
3. out of memory?

I do not believe this is an issue related to TOS 5, because many many users are running plex on TOS 5.