TerraSync Client - Sync start, and Log Localization Issue

A private cloud drive sync application within TNAS, computers and mobile devices
Chief
United States of America

TerraSync Client - Sync start, and Log Localization Issue

Post by Chief »

TOS Version 5.0.176-00227
TerraSync Client Version 1.1.55
Both Models: F5-221

Prerequisites:
- Two NAS on same network
- Both NAS configured for the same time zone
- Both NAS configured for the same Language (in my case, English for TOS Interface and Notifications, codepage UTF-8)

Steps to reproduce:
1. Install TerraSync Server on one NAS
2. Install TerraSync Client on the other NAS
3. Configure TS Client with task
1. Connect to TS Server
2. Select a Local directory, with subdirectories containing other subdirectories and files, to Sync
3. Select Remote directory /home/<user>/TerraSync/Sync
4. Set Strategy to Bidirectional Sync
5. No Filter settings, No Size Limit, No Exclusions
4. Save task
5. On Client NAS, in Client / Connections, confirm connected to Server NAS
6. On Server NAS, in Server / Connections, confirm connected to Client NAS
7. On Server NAS, check File Manager 'TerraSync / Sync' directory (this appears to be mirrored with the instance displayed in 'homes/ <user>')

EXPECTED:
- At some point relatively soon after configuring the Client Task, one of the Server 'TerraSync / Sync' directories begins to populate with files from the Client

ACTUAL:
- So far, after monitoring for at least 30 minutes, no files have been transferred
- Perhaps there's a schedule at which the Task will start syncing files, but if so, it is not obvious to the user

8. On Server NAS in TerraSync Server app / Logs, confirm an entry indicates that "Client is connected!"
1. Observe Log screen for any localization issues
9. On Client NAS in TerraSync Client app / Logs, look for any entry indicating task progress
1. Observe Log screen for any localization issues

EXPECTED:
- Server/Client logs indicate server/client connections and file sync status / progress
- All UI elements are have graphic and text elements conforming to Language settings

ACTUAL:
- So far, after monitoring for at least 30 minutes:
- Server Log window indicates connection status of client, but
- Client Log window has no log entries at all
- Terramaster Client app / Log window displays a language other than English on what I'm assuming is a "number of log entries" selector in the lower left of the window. See attached image.

TerraSync_Client_Log.jpg
Chief
United States of America

Re: TerraSync Client - Sync start, and Log Localization Issue

Post by Chief »

Sorry... my editing was off on the step numbering and indenting, and I can't seem to find a way to edit the original post. Let me try again:

TOS Version 5.0.176-00227
TerraSync Client Version 1.1.55
Both Models: F5-221

Prerequisites:
- Two NAS on same network
- Both NAS configured for the same time zone
- Both NAS configured for the same Language (in my case, English for TOS Interface and Notifications, codepage UTF-8)

Steps to reproduce:
1. Install TerraSync Server on one NAS
2. Install TerraSync Client on the other NAS
3. Configure TS Client with task
... 1. Connect to TS Server
... 2. Select a Local directory, with subdirectories containing other subdirectories and files, to Sync
... 3. Select Remote directory /home/<user>/TerraSync/Sync
... 4. Set Strategy to Bidirectional Sync
... 5. No Filter settings, No Size Limit, No Exclusions
4. Save task
5. On Client NAS, in Client / Connections, confirm connected to Server NAS
6. On Server NAS, in Server / Connections, confirm connected to Client NAS
7. On Server NAS, check File Manager 'TerraSync / Sync' directory (this appears to be mirrored with the instance displayed in 'homes/ <user>')

EXPECTED:
- At some point relatively soon after configuring the Client Task, one of the Server 'TerraSync / Sync' directories begins to populate with files from the Client

ACTUAL:
- So far, after monitoring for at least 30 minutes, no files have been transferred
--- Perhaps there's a schedule at which the Task will start syncing files, but if so, it is not obvious to the user

8. On Server NAS in TerraSync Server app / Logs, confirm an entry indicates that "Client is connected!"
... 1. Observe Log screen for any localization issues
9. On Client NAS in TerraSync Client app / Logs, look for any entry indicating task progress
... 1. Observe Log screen for any localization issues

EXPECTED:
- Server/Client logs indicate server/client connections and file sync status / progress
- All UI elements are have graphic and text elements conforming to Language settings

ACTUAL:
- So far, after monitoring for at least 30 minutes:
--- Server Log window indicates connection status of client, but
--- Client Log window has no log entries at all
- Terramaster Client app / Log window displays a language other than English on what I'm assuming is a "number of log entries" selector in the lower left of the window.

See image attached to first post.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

How big are the synced directories?
Client app / Log window language display issue has been fixed in the next version.
Please export the logs and send them to us for troubleshooting.

Code: Select all

cp -r /usr/local/TerraSyncServer/script/logs/ /Volume1/public/

cp -r /usr/local/TerraSyncClient/script/logs/ /Volume1/public/
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Chief
United States of America

Post by Chief »

Logs from both units emailed to support, as requested.

Thanks!
Chief
United States of America

Post by Chief »

If it matters, I just added User Group admin r/w permissions to the TerraSync, Backup, and Sync directories on each NAS.
So far, it doesn't seem to have made a difference.
Chief
United States of America

Post by Chief »

Okay, so, got a response from support that:
Viewing the log, it is found that the task restart failed, resulting in the inability to synchronize files.
Please try to delete the task and recreate it.
What I ended up doing on both NAS, was deleting both the client and server app and all associated data.
After that, I installed only server on one NAS, and only client on the other NAS, then recreated the task.
To hopefully make it a bit more simple, the task is upload to server only, not the bi-directional sync I was trying before.

The client NAS has been chugging away or more than a day with CPU at or near 100%. Nothing has been transferred to the server NAS.
Admittedly, this media directory has a lot in it - 245,534 files in 37,848 directories. But still, it shouldn't be that difficult a task.
The directory I'm backing up from client to server has R/W permissions for all users and groups.

The task appears to be running, and the client and server indicate they are connected, but the client logs indicate "Failed watch" on every file:

[2022-10-19 22:49:53.625] [client] [info] Start the process
[2022-10-19 22:49:53.626] [client] [info] init config workplace: /Volume1/@apps/TerraSyncClient/script/workplace, nginx_route: /var/api/terrasync-client.sock
[2022-10-19 22:49:53.626] [client] [info] resync solution crash: 0, resync: 0
[2022-10-19 22:49:53.626] [client] [warning] No sessions records
[2022-10-19 22:49:53.626] [client] [warning] No sync records
[2022-10-19 22:50:41.851] [client] [info] success connect to 192.168.4.110
[2022-10-19 22:50:41.852] [client] [info] success create session 0

< a lot more entires similar to those below>

[2022-10-20 11:30:40.051] [client] [warning] Failed watch /Volume1/Media/Music/Death Cab for Cutie/
[2022-10-20 11:30:40.054] [client] [warning] Failed watch /Volume1/Media/Music/Deathklok/
Assuming this isn't a problem with the client / server apps themselves, I can probably take care of this without a remote session if given some idea of what to do, even if it has to be done over SSH.

Any ideas?
Chief
United States of America

Post by Chief »

In the process of messing about with TerraSync Client and Server, one of my NAS is now discoverable on the network but only shows a "Loading..." screen when attempting to access TOS in the browser. Since I can get to the network share, for the moment I'm manually backing up files from one NAS to the other now, just in case.

The odd thing I'm seeing while doing this, is that in directories with media files, many of those files now have duplicates, of the same file size, but with longer filenames than the originals. For example:

Mirai (2018).mp
rename-1666409727#@Mirai (2018).mp4
rename-1666414385#@Mirai (2018).mp4
I know that I did not create those files, and the timestamps show they were created just in the past two days.

Is this something that TerraSync Client / Server is known to do?
If so... why? Seems like a terrible increase in and waste of storage space.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

We cannot locate the reason why the file sync failed. If it is convenient, you can contact our tech team to have a remote check.
You can access TOS through network sharing but not the browser. It may be that the nginx service is not enabled. Please enable it through the SSH terminal.

service nginx start
Is the backup destination and the synchronization task's directory the same directory?
When you transfer a file to the directory of the synchronization task, the task will monitor the changes of the file system and if it is a duplicate file, the conflict policy "retain the server version and rename the client version" will be executed when synchronizing the file.
You can disable tasks first.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Chief
United States of America

Post by Chief »

You can access TOS through network sharing but not the browser. It may be that the nginx service is not enabled. Please enable it through the SSH terminal.

service nginx start
Here's what I get when I try that command:

:~$ service nginx start
bash: service: command not found
That happens both on the NAS that I had on TOS 4 and upgraded to TOS 5, and the new one that's only had TOS 5 on it.
I had also tried other ways of finding the status of, or starting, the nginx server including

systemctl
and

systemd
and see the same

bash: service: command not found
for all of them. That seems like a problem....
Is the backup destination and the synchronization task's directory the same directory?
Not at the same time - I never had more than one task at any one time - but yes, I was backing up or syncing the same directory to the server.
When you transfer a file to the directory of the synchronization task, the task will monitor the changes of the file system and if it is a duplicate file, the conflict policy "retain the server version and rename the client version" will be executed when synchronizing the file.
I know of that setting, and thought I went out of my way to ensure that option was not selected... but at this point, I cannot say for certain that is the case. I may have left it selected or accidentally selected it at some point. Will just delete the dupes, then.
Chief
United States of America

Post by Chief »

Doing a little more digging, I found that the `service` file exists in a few locations (among others that I don't consider relevant to this issue):

./sbin/service
./etc.default/tos/scripts/service
./etc/tos/scripts/service
./usr/lib/samba/service
However, attempting to run `service` command directly from any of those directories, results in the same bash error message, `command not found`.

Beginning to suspect this might be a path problem, but I'm not sure which bashrc file might need to be edited to fix it.