Are these good NAS's for a beginner

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
xebec

Are these good NAS's for a beginner

Post by xebec »

Hello,
I am considering purchasing either a F2-420 or f5-420 or f5-220. I would like to know if anybody can share their experience of these systems and any tips as to which would be the most appropriate to purchase.
I am going to use it for backups of photo's, files and video's and would like to build an intranet on it.
Do these NAS's have the ability to index photo's etc.
Any help/advice appreciated.
Thanks & Regards...
Tricky
Great Britain

Re: Are these good NAS's for a beginner

Post by Tricky »

Hi bit of a difficult one i started with a Net-gear Stora years ago which as a newbie to NAS i found fairly straightforward, i then purchased a Zyxel which was a little more involved but both worked without fault.

I then purchased the F5-221 and on first startup worked OK and after transferring my data it then lost all....luckily i was able to recover most with some software i found but although i am still using the F5-221 i am very cautious not to say everyone has had a bad experience.

The main bugbear IMO is the flaky software that is continually updated because they just dont sem to be able to get it right IMO.....so would i recommend Terramaster to someone new to using NAS frankly no as i just dont have the confidence in it that i should, my advice would be to look at offerings from QNAP or Synology as their software and operating systems are way more stable and user friendly.

Sorry Terramaster but i have to tell the truth and going from my experiences...others may have a completely different one.
xebec

Post by xebec »

Hello,
Thankyou very much for your honest and very helpful advice. I am going to take your advice as I was also looking at Synology but could not make up my mind. Thanks once again...
Regards..
scoobyfizz

Post by scoobyfizz »

Same as above flakey software and unreliability updating it and monitoring settings... go with more mainstream nas like qnap synology etc. If you are a newby.
Best thing I ever did was ebay my Terramaster...
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

i would now argue about the flaky software, version 4.1.30 seems to have settled my F2-210 down perfectly at home
its been on for 18 days now since the update without a single issue (i know its still relatively early days but its looking good)

i look after a Buffalo NAS also that does feel further on in its software development (although it doesnt have an app store) its functionality does seem more polished offering the features you would expect from a business NAS drive and has been on for 6 months without an issue, i am hoping that that the F2-210 will get to this point also

for my home use i am happy with the F2-210 it now does what it says on the box
F2-210

Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

You had to go and say it...you know what happens next. :lol:
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

I just think credit where credit is due

I was getting frustrated and feeling a bit deflated when I got mine (end of July) on 4.1.27 with the issues it had So I’m guessing out of the box experience isn’t going to be the best until they ship 4.1.30 loaded as standard

So 3 versions in a matter of a few weeks wasn’t good but as a developer myself I appreciate the situation and understand things take time to get to a stable release
F2-210

Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

sianderson wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 05:18 I just think credit where credit is due

I was getting frustrated and feeling a bit deflated when I got mine (end of July) on 4.1.27 with the issues it had So I’m guessing out of the box experience isn’t going to be the best until they ship 4.1.30 loaded as standard

So 3 versions in a matter of a few weeks wasn’t good but as a developer myself I appreciate the situation and understand things take time to get to a stable release
The point being Terramaster are not a new company and they should have a perfectly stable operating system sorted by now .....but they haven't not good business practice....especially if you in the business of selling secure data storage products.