Simple disk to raid1

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
jlburguete

Simple disk to raid1

Post by jlburguete »

Hello, I have a disk drive whith data. 4tb.
My idea is to save this data through my network to my new f2-221 whith is disk drive (new 4tb drive) , as single disk configuration first.
Once done I would like to migrate to a raid1 configuration by mounting the old disk in secind bay.
But, Will the Nas respect the data precopied has a single while sincronizing both disk has raid1?
Thank you all
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Simple disk to raid1

Post by TMroy »

Hi, I understand your thought.
But this is not how raid 1 works. when you immigrating your single drive to a raid 1, the second drive going to be formatted and sync from drive 1. So by this way, you can’t keep your data.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
jlburguete

Post by jlburguete »

Ok TMRoy, thanks for your answer.

But, if i have understood you, my first drive will syncronize whith the second when I migrate to Raid 1. Then, the data allocated in drive 1 will be keept as a mirror in the second,rigth?

My plan is to initiate whith 1 drive alone. First of all transfer the data to this new drive, and then install de old drive of my old nas who have the data ( but this data now are also in the first drive initiated as single) . This second drive will be formated by the nas in the configuration of raid1 but when this task have been completed, drive 1 will syncronize his data to the second and it will be mirrored to the second. Is that true?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Whatever you plan to do, the drive you put in your TNAS will be reformatted into ext 4 or Btrfs file system. You better backup your data before you do so.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

Sorry for just jumping on this

I have a single 6TB drive in Bay 1 and nothing in Bay 2
What I was hoping to do is purchase a second 6TB drive put it in Bay 2 and it will see it and create the raid configuration and duplicate all data from Bay 1 to Bay 2

Are you saying this isn’t the case and it will wipe all data from both hard drives when setting up the raid array?
F2-210

TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Single drive could be upgraded to RAID1 without losing the data in the first drive.
Your TNAS is started with HDD1, and you can add a second drive to configure them as RAID1. The data in HDD1 will not be erased and it will be mirrored to HDD2. While if HDD2 has data in it, it will be wiped.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

perfect thank you, yes i would expect the second drive to be wiped when setting it up
F2-210