Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
Issam2204

T6-423 does not recognize 4 HDDs out of 6

Post by Issam2204 »

Hello,

Two days ago I purchased a T6-423 and I've made the following upgrades:
- Installed 2 x M.2 NVME disks.
- Upgraded the RAM to 32GB DDR4.
- Installed 6 x 10TB Western Digital HDDs.

I've then proceeded to make a BIOS update to unlock the boot sequence. I followed this guide: viewtopic.php?t=4238

My objective is to install Ubuntu Server LTS or Debian Server Stable.

In the BIOS I've left the default settings, except for:
- Boot sequence changed so that USB is first and then NVME is second.
- Disabled AER (Advanced Error Reporting) for all PCIE ports (as it was giving me a lot of errors when trying to install Ubuntu or Debian), making the installation impossible.

I've then continued by flashing a USB key with Ubuntu Server LTS (22.04). During the first run of the installation I was able to see all 6 HDDs. After a reboot 4 HDDs disappeared: now only HDDs in SATA1 and SATA2 are visible. Any subsequent reboot (or shutdown and then start) yields the same result.

The same happens with Debian 11, Proxmox, Windows 10, and Ubuntu Desktop LTS. I even tried TOS!

During first setup of TOS I see all the drives:

As you know, TOS needs to reboot at this point to finish the installation process. After the reboot it only sees 2 HDDs:

I thought the 4 HDDs might be defective but it's not the case: I've tried switching the HDDs in SATA5 and SATA6 with SATA1 and SATA2 and suddenly they become visible, but SATA5 and SATA6 (previously in SATA1 and SATA2) are not recognized anymore.

Things I tried:
- Restore BIOS to default settings
- Remove my RAM and use the official 4GB
- Remove CMOS battery and wait 10 minutes
- Test HDDs in another machine. They work.

I'm starting to think I got a defective unit.

Could you please help me out? Why am I able to see all the HDDs only the first time? Why do they disappear afterwards?

Thank you.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Re: T6-423 does not recognize 4 HDDs out of 6

Post by TMRyan »

You can try reinserting the cable or board that can be unplugged on the motherboard.
If the device still cannot recognize the hard drive, you need to contact our service team.
Service team: service@terra-master.com (for procurement, return, replacement)
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

This paging space cannot display all drives, you may need to use the scroll bar to see other drives. And if that 4 drives already have RAID configuration?
By the way, could you see these 6 drives in BIOS? if you can't, that could be a hardware failure.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

I notice from your screen shots that you have different varieties of WD drive - EMAZ and EZAZ.
I'm not familiar with all the "ins and outs" of WD but I think the EMAZ are designated for Easystore units and are "white label" products. I found this for reference:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/co ... asystores/
Although one would expect all of those drives to work, maybe there is some difference that is messing up the system and them working together.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid.
sevenofeleven

Post by sevenofeleven »

I'm having the exact same issue. Only 2 of the 6 drives are recognized. Did you find a solution?
sevenofeleven

Post by sevenofeleven »

Hi again,

I noted that in the instructions it says to type the following "AMIDEEFIx64.EFI /SP 000-F4423-NT140-0001-N”.

Would the F4423 in the instructions cause this issue?

Do you think I could use the same bios update but change the F4423 to T6423?

Alternatively do you know if the original BIOS available to revert to?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Have you updated the bios yourself? If the wrong BIOS is updated, it may cause only part of the hard drive to be recognized.
May I know which drive slot fails to recognize your drive? If you exchange a recognized drive for the other slot, can it still be recognized? what kind of hard drive you installed in your T6-423?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sevenofeleven

Post by sevenofeleven »

Thanks for responding. I sent an email to support and they provided an update the to instructions I had followed (to include the T6-423). I updated with the correct bios file and commands and everything is working again.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=4238

Thanks again. All the best.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

sevenofeleven wrote: 23 Jun 2023, 08:22 Thanks for responding. I sent an email to support and they provided an update the to instructions I had followed (to include the T6-423). I updated with the correct bios file and commands and everything is working again.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=4238

Thanks again. All the best.
May I know before this issue happen, did you update the BIOS by yourself? Or did this issue happen because you updated a wrong BIOS? I need to know if the device shipped with a wrong BIOS?
sevenofeleven

Post by sevenofeleven »

The issue happened when I updated with the wrong BIOS. A number of online posting pointed me to the same link as Issam2204. I followed the instructions there (initially they didn't include the T6-423). Once complete only 2 drives worked. After reaching out and support updating the instructions to include the BIOS for T6-423, I followed the instructions again and everything is working as expected.

Hope that clarifies.