F5-422 Fans not turning on

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
kevmic

F5-422 Fans not turning on

Post by kevmic »

I have a brand new F5-422, which has been running for less than 48 hours.
There is currently very little activity on the NAS as I have not started migrating data on to it yet

The fans do not seem to start up as I would expect...
Device Temp = 69 C / 156 F
CPU Temp = 39 C / 102 F
Disk Temp = 51 C / 124 F

I changed the Fan mode from Smart to Medium and they ran for about a minute and stopped.
I have tried switching to other modes but seems to have no effect.
I've tried restarting the NAS but again, no effect.

I have 5 brand new WD Red Plus in the unit and very worried that they will overheat soon.\

Noise is not a problem for me. How can I make the fans run all the time?
kevmic

Re: F5-422 Fans not turning on

Post by kevmic »

To experiment and see if this is a software fault, I deleted the whole Volume and deleted the Storage Pool.
I then reset to factory settings.

Then I started over from the beginning, but manually installed TOS 4.2.40 instead of default latest TOS 5.

I have set the Fan Mode to Full Speed and so far so good. The fans are spinning as expected.
Disk Temperature is reported holding steady at 40~45 C

As I have just recreated everything from scratch the Volume is synchronising (ETA 16 hours).
I hope the Fans will be 24/7 and not just while the NAS is busy synchronising.
Will continue to monitor and update here.
kevmic

Post by kevmic »

The end result is the same.

While the Volume was synchronising the fans were running and the drive temperatures were holding steady. But after synchonisation was complete the fans turned off.

In an idle state the drive temperatures were slowly creeping up but still the fans did not start. Changing the fan mode had no effect. When the drives passed 50C I shut the system down.

While the Volume was synchronising and the fans were running I watched the reported fan speed closely. They seemed to be running at a asteady speed, yet the reported speed in the GUI was fluctuating continuously. Sometimes reporting 10 RPM, sometimes in the 1000s and sometimes in the 10,000s. Is this normal? It does not look right to me.

Heat is my biggest concern after some bad experiences in the past.

Can Support please tell me how to programatically control the fan speed by myself?
I want to run the fans full speed, all the time.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Such an issue never been reported in TOS 4.x, you can email our tech team and ask for a remote session, or update your version to TOS 5.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
kevmic

Post by kevmic »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy

Can you please read the full history?

I was experiencing this same behaviour in TOS 5 on a brand new F5-422, so tried TOS 4 to see if it was any different.
(which it wasn't).

I'm fine to factory reset and go back to TOS 5... but the fans do not run enough and the drives were heating up to >50C even when the system was under no load.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

If your drives are not busy, they should not come up to 50 degrees, instead, they will fall into sleep. May I know what kind of drive you installed? Would you show some screenshots about the drives and temperature?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

The only possibility is that the system gets the wrong hard disk temperature. So please provide some screenshots as I request in the last thread.
kevmic

Post by kevmic »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy
Ok, sure. I just started a factory reset to move back to a fresh installation of TOS 5
(as the TOS 4 experiment did not help)

I'll need about 24 hours to let that rebuild the volume and will update again here with some screenshots.

Drives are brand new WD Red Plus (6 TB)

Thanks
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Sure, will wait for your further input.
kevmic

Post by kevmic »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy
Here are some screenshots while TOS 5 is building my array... Fan settings:
fansetting.png
Current activity - synchronising the volume:
volumebuilding.png
Overview Page. The fan only started when the cpu hit 40C. Devce temperature is up to 53C. is that normal? Disks are running cool right now
overview.png
In around 12~18 hours from now I will post the status after volume built ans NAS is idle. Thank you