F5-422 Fans not turning on

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
titanrx8

Re: F5-422 Fans not turning on

Post by titanrx8 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy
kevmic wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 00:57 Here are some screenshots while TOS 5 is building my array... Fan settings: fansetting.png Current activity - synchronising the volume: volumebuilding.png Overview Page. The fan only started when the cpu hit 40C. Devce temperature is up to 53C. is that normal? Disks are running cool right now overview.png In around 12~18 hours from now I will post the status after volume built ans NAS is idle. Thank you
19640rpm?? I don't think I've ever seen more than 2000? If it's really 19640rpm it should sound like a jet engine.
kevmic

Post by kevmic »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy
Yes, as mentioned above, this is another symptom I have.
(I saw the same on both TOS4 and TOS4)

When the fans do decide to spin, the reported speed in the GUI is continuously fluctuating. Every 10~15 seconds it cycles through:
0RPM, 1000s of RPM, 10,000s of RPM, 0 RPM, repeat.

The fans are not particularly loud. No louder than a PC case. When I put my hand behind them, airflow feels weak. I would say much weaker than my PC case.
kevmic

Post by kevmic »

Please allow me to reiterate that this is a brand new unit.

Delivered and first built on Saturday 28th January.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Thank you for your information! we will study it and come back to you with our first thought.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
kevmic

Post by kevmic »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy
Synchronisation completed 1.5 hours ago.

As before, disk temperatures are slowly creeping up. They are now 47C.

I have identified that the fans, when running, seem quite weak. I've also reported that fans, when running, are reporting continually fluctuating speeds. Now the unit is idle but warming itself up as the fans are not running at all.

I purchased this new from Amazon Japan. I'm not confident there will be any solution you can offer. I can only conclude I have a defective unit which has some issue with the fans / fan controller.

Please can you send me details of how to return it for a full refund under warranty
kevmic

Post by kevmic »

Idle.png
kevmic

Post by kevmic »

And here is a photo showing the unit externally.

Ambient temperature is 16.7C.
(Humidity low at 35%, for what its worth).

Unit is on, as you can see the green light on the LAN port.

Fans clearly not spinning.

Yet the GUI is showing 67C Device temperature and now 48C HDD temperature.
environment.jpg
Now I am powering it down.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Do you mind having a remote session to check if there is any hardware failure on your device? if it is, we can arrange a new replacement.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
kevmic

Post by kevmic »

OK sure. can you please private message me and we can arrange it now if you are free
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}kevmic

Please drop an email to the tech team and book a schedule for the remote session. you can find the tech team email from my signature. Remember to attach the link of this post. Thank you!