F2-221 is dead

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
f221user

F2-221 is dead

Post by f221user »

The little cute thing has died on me :( Summary:
  • CR2032 replaced with the fresh one
  • Both HDD lights turn green when drives are attached and do not light up when there is nothing in SATA slots.
  • Fan spins-up.
  • Only 2nd ethernet port from the top comes alive. There is some activity indicated by LEDs, but packets can't be dissected via Mikrotik's "torch".
    I wonder what's in there.
  • There is no HDMI output
  • System does not react to connected USB keyboard and CTRL+ALT+DEL sequence
  • I have tried booting with and without additional RAM, peripherals (HDMI, USB, Ethernet) and SATA drives.
Given the working LEDs and fan makes me think that EC is alive. Can it be dead or corrupt SPI flash?.. Anyway, here is some information which might be useful, from an old backup:

Code: Select all

*-core
  description: Motherboard
  product: TM-J3355-2G2L
  vendor: GIFA Industrial Control
  physical id: 0
*-firmware
  description: BIOS
  vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  physical id: 0
  version: MAPL0304V16
  date: 07/07/2020
  size: 64KiB
  capacity: 5MiB
  capabilities: pci upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer acpi usb biosbootspecification uefi
Any ideas?
titanrx8

Re: F2-221 is dead

Post by titanrx8 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}f221user

One of my f2-221's has died a total of 3 times in the 3 years I've owned it. First time was corrupted init boot USB. Second time was corrupted TOS and needed to reinstall from scratch including reformating the drives (thankfully I had fresh backups). Most recently the power switch went bad (fixed with copious amounts of contact cleaner). Under TOS 4.1 and 4.2, the Ethernet controller would also intermittently go unresponsive (no ping response) - I knew that the machine was still "working" because it was still following its normal power cycling and sending email notifications of its status. The Ethernet would return to normal its next reboot.

Good luck.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}f221user
Is there a beep when you turn on the device?
Please boot when it's not loaded with any hard drive, wait 5 minutes, can you find the device and successfully open the initialization page?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
f221user

Post by f221user »

{L_BUTTON_AT}f221user
TMzethar wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 09:57 Is there a beep when you turn on the device? Please boot when it's not loaded with any hard drive, wait 5 minutes, can you find the device and successfully open the initialization page?
Removed both SATA SSDs and internal usb flash drive. I do not hear a beep when device turns on. That being said, I don't recall it beeping ever. The device wasn't rebooted for months before it has died, so it might be just me not remembering the sound. I am unable to find the device as there is no new record in ARP cache, DHCP request received by my DHCP server, etc. I do however see that router port to which it is connected successfully negotiates 1Gbps link.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}f221user

Only remove all your SATA drives, do not remove the internal USB initBoot, then reboot your TNAS. if you can find the device on your local network, that means the device is not died. If not, that may something wrong with the initBoot or the hardware somewhere.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
f221user

Post by f221user »

{L_BUTTON_AT}f221user
TMroy wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 13:17 Only remove all your SATA drives, do not remove the internal USB initBoot, then reboot your TNAS. if you can find the device on your local network, that means the device is not died. If not, that may something wrong with the initBoot or the hardware somewhere.
I am afraid that 128Mb usb drive was overwritten with MemTest... I have searched the forum and noted `common_bootloader_V5.1.42.img`, can this be `dd` to the drive directly? If no, could you please provide the correct image?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}f221user
Please follow the guideline:viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1455&p=7658#p7658
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
f221user

Post by f221user »

{L_BUTTON_AT}f221user
TMroy wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 13:25 Please follow the guideline:viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1455&p=7658#p7658
I have re-created the initBoot using the guide provided, removed SATA drives and inserted original USB stick with freshly provisioned initBoot into the onboard USB port. I have powered on the device and do no see it appearing on the network in any way, shape of form. There are no valid TCP/UDP/ICMP packets transmitted from the device. What do I do next?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}f221user

Unscrew the screws at the back of the unit, take off the mainboard, remove the battery, and then use a metal stuff like tweezers to press and hold the two poles of the battery for about 10 seconds, and then put back the battery, assemble the device and try to boot it again. This may solve the problem.
If you still don't hear a "beep" the moment you boot up, it should no longer be working.
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)