F2-210 whistling/whining

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
scotty38

F2-210 whistling/whining

Post by scotty38 »

Hi All,

I've just installed my F2-210 and all is well apart from it has a high pitched whine. I suspected the Ironwolf drive(s) so bought 2 more but it's the same.

I have it configured with Raid1 and if I remove the 2nd drive the noise stops, replace it and the whine fires back up again. I can repeat this with the two new drives I bought so it appears to be when the 2nd slot is populated.

It's not the fan causing the noise by the way.

Any thoughts please, oh and I just installed the new beta software to enable sleep but that's made no difference :-)

Thanks in advance.....
Tricky
Great Britain

Re: F2-210 whistling/whining

Post by Tricky »

Sounds like it could be vibration resonance from the two HDDs through the casing try adding the extra feet supplied to the middle of the underneath of the casing or just add something to damp out case vibration my F5-221 does this on occasion and its a pain to stop it.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

This case is not common.Try to move your TNAS to a solid table or place it on floor, or place a rubber or mouse pad under the device. Some tables just easy to cause Resonance.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
scotty38

Post by scotty38 »

Thanks both, I've tried the obvious stuff. It still does it if I hold the unit in my hands. It's as if the "stress" of having the second disk spin up causes something to whine.

The best way to describe it is it's very similar to the high pitched whine of a cheap switched mode PSU. It's not the power supply in this case, it's definitely inside the unit and only occurs with the 2nd disk installed. It stops as soon as I remove it and starts up again as soon as it's reinserted. In fact you can hear the whine start just before the disk itself starts to spin up.

Might be on its way back unfortunately then.....
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Please contact us at support(a)terra-master.com with your serial number and Amazon order number, we will replace you with a new one.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
scotty38

Post by scotty38 »

Thank you very much and I will do. Fantastic service and very much appreciated!
trunip190

Post by trunip190 »

I also have this issue, and the second drive i added is an SSD, so i'm not 100% sure it is the same. I tried putting it on a rubber mat etc and the whistling etc is still.

when running with the first drive i did not get this whistling and it was very quiet. I may have to replace this if the whistling doesn't go away (it lives in our living room)

(F2-210 as well, bought just this week)
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Please advise the model number of your SSD, and take a small video to show us the whistling. Please also try to remove the SSD to see whether it's still whistling.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
2delta

Post by 2delta »

Hi Every One, I'm new in The Forum.
Bought F2-210, nice device, got some issues installing TOS, got rid of them...
Once started, my Hard Disks started whistling , I also noticed transfer rate is limited to 12 Megabytes per second on a 10/100/1000 LAN (PCs have SSD, no mechanic Disks).
Hard Disks on NAS are both SEAGATE ST2000DM008 BARRACUDA 2TB.

Thanks In Advance for any futher Help.

Daniele.
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

2delta wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 02:59 Hi Every One, I'm new in The Forum.
Bought F2-210, nice device, got some issues installing TOS, got rid of them...
Once started, my Hard Disks started whistling , I also noticed transfer rate is limited to 12 Megabytes per second on a 10/100/1000 LAN (PCs have SSD, no mechanic Disks).
Hard Disks on NAS are both SEAGATE ST2000DM008 BARRACUDA 2TB.

Thanks In Advance for any futher Help.

Daniele.
i haven't seen it that low on mine (6TB Barracuda) but sometimes it can fly data out at 110mb/s and other times around 45mb

12mb/s tends to be the limit on a 100mb, if you are sure all devices are indeed connected at 1gbps to a switch and not dropping to 100mb, it maybe a dodgy cable somewhere limiting it?
F2-210