F2-210 whistling/whining

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: F2-210 whistling/whining

Post by TMSupport »

Hi!
When the power adapter is not connected to the NAS, is there a power whine?
In addition, you can take a related video and send it to support(at)terra-master.com. We need to determine the specific sound and reason.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
djay7

Post by djay7 »

Hi, I have taken a video of this problem and will send it through to you now. I can confirm that it sounds like coil whine and it's a loading issue. There's no noise without the power connected (obviously) and it gets higher pitched with 2 drives connected and is constant. I'm now looking at getting a different NAS as this is used in my home office and drives you crazy at night. It's very high pitched and from the video I'm sending, you need to be "on axis" with the drive to hear the sound, but you definitely hear it on the video. :|
jon@donnasaxby.com

Post by jon@donnasaxby.com »

Plus one here. I have a brand new F4-210 with three 2TB SSDs (Crucial BX500) so obviously disk vibrations are unlikely.
The sound is like a dog-whistle — almost too high-pitched to hear, but deafening nonetheless. Being in the same room as it gives me tinnitus!

I hope this is a fixable problem, as otherwise I absolutely love the machine.
DrJEJ

Post by DrJEJ »

Plus one here. I have a brand new F4-210 with three 2TB SSDs (Crucial BX500) so obviously disk vibrations are unlikely.
The sound is like a dog-whistle — almost too high-pitched to hear, but deafening nonetheless. Being in the same room as it gives me tinnitus!

I hope this is a fixable problem, as in every other respect I absolutely love the machine.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi! You can take a related video and send it to support(at)terra-master.com. We need to determine the specific sound and reason.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
DrJEJ

Post by DrJEJ »

Thanks — I’ve done that. It’s quite hard to capture, as the noise is very directional (possibly due to echos/reflections from the nearby walls)
I haven’t tried removing a disk, as they are part of a RAID 5 array, so I’m sure the machine would not run normally!
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

In our NAS, Except of the buzzer, hard drive and fan, there is no other part that can make a sound.
You need to check which part really makes the sound.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
DrJEJ

Post by DrJEJ »

Hmmm, pretty much any component (down to a loose solder joint) can make a noise if it resonates.

The sound is very high pitched and very directional, so I suspect that constructive/destructive interference is playing a part. I tried tamping the SSDs with BluTac to make sure that they can’t vibrate, but to no effect. I also bought an ultrasound detector app for my iPhone, but that wasn’t much use. I don’t really have the means to determine exactly where the sound is coming from in the unit — it’s so intense that I quickly get tinnitus if I spend time trying to pinpoint it, meaning that I loose any ability to localise them sound.

In the end, I made an extra housing for the unit out of a large Tupperware box and some high-density foam that I had spare. The room is now nice and quiet! It restricts the ventilation a little bit, but temperature build-up doesn’t seem to be an issue when using SSDs — the air from the fan is still cool even when I’m watching a movie on Plex while doing a TimeMachine backup (which is the heaviest read-write load that the unit will ever be under).