F2-210 whistling/whining

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
2delta

Re: F2-210 whistling/whining

Post by 2delta »

sianderson wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 05:41
2delta wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 02:59 Hi Every One, I'm new in The Forum.
Bought F2-210, nice device, got some issues installing TOS, got rid of them...
Once started, my Hard Disks started whistling , I also noticed transfer rate is limited to 12 Megabytes per second on a 10/100/1000 LAN (PCs have SSD, no mechanic Disks).
Hard Disks on NAS are both SEAGATE ST2000DM008 BARRACUDA 2TB.

Thanks In Advance for any futher Help.

Daniele.
i haven't seen it that low on mine (6TB Barracuda) but sometimes it can fly data out at 110mb/s and other times around 45mb

12mb/s tends to be the limit on a 100mb, if you are sure all devices are indeed connected at 1gbps to a switch and not dropping to 100mb, it maybe a dodgy cable somewhere limiting it?
Hi, yes I've considered in changing cables, will do it soon, may be today once I reach my office. I'll keep this post updated.

C'Ya all Soon.
Daniele.
2delta

Post by 2delta »

2delta wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 07:19
sianderson wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 05:41
2delta wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 02:59 Hi Every One, I'm new in The Forum.
Bought F2-210, nice device, got some issues installing TOS, got rid of them...
Once started, my Hard Disks started whistling , I also noticed transfer rate is limited to 12 Megabytes per second on a 10/100/1000 LAN (PCs have SSD, no mechanic Disks).
Hard Disks on NAS are both SEAGATE ST2000DM008 BARRACUDA 2TB.

Thanks In Advance for any futher Help.

Daniele.
i haven't seen it that low on mine (6TB Barracuda) but sometimes it can fly data out at 110mb/s and other times around 45mb

12mb/s tends to be the limit on a 100mb, if you are sure all devices are indeed connected at 1gbps to a switch and not dropping to 100mb, it maybe a dodgy cable somewhere limiting it?
Hi, yes I've considered in changing cables, will do it soon, may be today once I reach my office. I'll keep this post updated.

C'Ya all Soon.
Daniele.
Hi Everyone,
I've tryed a new Ethernet cable and speeds are back to as aspected.
The whistling shuts up after removing one HDD doesn't matter wich one, the result is the same.

@ Terramaster support: Do you guys think i need to give back my F2-210?..

Thanks in advance for any further help.

Daniele.

P.S.: I wish you all a Merry Christmas.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

The whistling when you insert the hard drive? Running other hard drives on your F2-210 device will also issue the whistling?
Please refer to this link to check the quality of the hard drive viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1125
If the hard disk is ok,can you take a small video to show us the whistling ?
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
2delta

Post by 2delta »

I sended a support request at support@terramaster.com
My NAS has bricked after TOS update(wich I was hoping to solve previuous issues...)
Please, could some at support get a look, to my support request?

Thanks in advance.
Daniele.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

2delta wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 19:33 Please, could some at support get a look, to my support request?
Ok,please make an appointment with our tech team, our engineer will assist and check the problem remotely.
By the way,Do you have other models of hard drives? Barracuda hard drive is not recommended.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
2delta

Re: F2-210 whistling/whining [SOLVED]

Post by 2delta »

TMS wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 21:10
2delta wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 19:33 Please, could some at support get a look, to my support request?
Ok,please make an appointment with our tech team, our engineer will assist and check the problem remotely.
By the way,Do you have other models of hard drives? Barracuda hard drive is not recommended.
Hi,
thanks for your answer. I've got a WD RED 4TB.

Anyway I want to Thank Terramaster support to be quick and effective.
Despite their very expert and helpful advice, I have applied a workaround to get my NAS F2-210 working again.

I consider SOLVED all ISSUES.

Regards.
Daniele.
csoutter

Post by csoutter »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMSupport

I am having this exact same issue and cannot resolve.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Can you specify what is the problem? The whistling when you insert the hard drive?
djay7

Post by djay7 »

I've just installed another 4tb drive and now I have the high pitched whistling too! It sounds just like an old TV whistle. It's obviously coming from the power supply which doesn't like the extra load. It's driving me crazy as I can hear it all the time. Take one drive out and the pitch lowers, but is still present - but not annoying. :?
Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

I also have pretty severe powersupply whine with 2x 2TB WD RED SSDs, which should not be too much of a load.

My guess is the power supply is a switching power supply and there isn't sufficient filtering to keep the noise down. It shouldn't harm anything, but it does drive me nuts when the house is quiet.