F4-423 DDR4 memory modules upgrade

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
sergey1878

F4-423 DDR4 memory modules upgrade

Post by sergey1878 »

Good afternoon. There is a terramaster F4-423. I want to increase the amount of RAM. I bought 8 GB ddr4 2666 on hynix chips. The memory did not work in the NAS, but the module is serviceable. When booting, the device beeps 3 times, pauses and 3 more times, after which it restarts. Share your experience which memory is guaranteed to work? Who has what experience?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: F4-423 DDR4 memory modules upgrade

Post by TMSupport »

We recommend that you purchase officially certified RAM modules
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sergey1878

Post by sergey1878 »

After discussing the situation with colleagues, we came to the conclusion that the memory in the device is checked according to the information stored in the SPD? And no other memory, except Terramaster, even working, in principle will not work. Please confirm or deny.
sergey1878

Post by sergey1878 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMSupport

Firstly: I have nowhere to buy these models, since they are not even sold on AliExpress.
Secondly: I can't afford to buy memory modules that cost 5 times more (5 times!!!) than regular ones.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

sergey1878 wrote: 11 Nov 2022, 16:55 After discussing the situation with colleagues, we came to the conclusion that the memory in the device is checked according to the information stored in the SPD? And no other memory, except Terramaster, even working, in principle will not work. Please confirm or deny.
RAM is a key component of NAS, unverified memory may cause system crashes, and incompatible memory may even cause the system to fail to boot properly. In order to ensure the quality, it is recommended to use the memory modules officially certified by TerraMaster.
For details on purchasing, you can consult our online customer service.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sergey1878

Post by sergey1878 »

No, you don't recommend it, you did much worse. You have simply closed the possibility of using third-party memory modules at the software level. This is not allowed by any manufacturer! At the same time, you have not written about this shameful fact anywhere.
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

sergey1878 wrote: 11 Nov 2022, 18:22 … have simply closed the possibility of using third-party memory modules at the software level. This is not allowed by any manufacturer!
It's their own platform, so they can lock out unverified RAM modules at their discretion; it's primarily done for support reasons (they don't have the resources to test & verify every module available on the market), however many believe it's also to push sales of their own modules.

Fortunately, since it's a software limitation, you can go ahead & install other ×64 compatible operating systems, however don't expect a shred of software support from them if you do so.
sergey1878

Post by sergey1878 »

No question, but I should know before buying that I will not be able to expand the amount of memory on reasonable terms. I repeat once again: no NAS manufacturer restricts users in the choice of components. NOT ONE!!!. The ability to expand memory is one of the main advantages of this device! And this opportunity was taken away from me.
NotCool

Post by NotCool »

I 100% agree. I just purchased this model and came to find out I cannot upgrade the memory without getting price gouged. I will most likely return the device. I just wanted to create an account and voice my frustration. This is an awful tactic by TerraMaster..
Matt

Post by Matt »

Purchased a F4-423 over Black Friday. Unless I can get 3rd party RAM working, I will be returning.

Locking people into their own walled garden of hardware is a reason I left Synology. Price gouging for RAM on top of locking vendors is simply awful.

$300 for 32GB of DDR4 that costs $50 elsewhere is ridiculous.