New F5-422 Memory Upgrade to 8Gb not possible?

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
itisme

New F5-422 Memory Upgrade to 8Gb not possible?

Post by itisme »

Hi,

Just recieved a new F5-422 and was looking to upgrade the memory to 8Gb so I can run a couple VMs.
Following the RAM upgrade video in here, I opened the case expecting to find an empty memory slot to drop another 4Gb into only to find it already populated with a 2Gb stick, meaning the onboard is 2Gb and not 4Gb. Does anyone know haw am I supposed to upgrade to 8Gb as pretty much every online review of this device states I should be able to or am I only have up to 6Gb?
It seems a little strange to change the spec downwards after all of the reviews have been published. :|
Charlie_Croker

Re: New F5-422 Memory Upgrade to 8Gb not possible?

Post by Charlie_Croker »

Isnt there a second slot on the other side of Mainboard?
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

Charlie_Croker wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 02:16 Isnt there a second slot on the other side of Mainboard?
No, not on the F×-×22 models; that's unique to the newer F×-×23 models.
itisme

Post by itisme »

There only appears to be 1 slot which as 2Gb in it.
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

There’s 2GB soldered onto MB and a memory slot for expansion, https://www.techpowerup.com/review/terr ... nas/4.html
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

{L_BUTTON_AT}itisme
Ignore my post above, I suspect theres 4GB soldered to the board and you can add a 4GB DIMM for 8GB, I suspect someone has added a 2GB DIMM at some time. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/terr ... 5-bay-nas/
itisme

Post by itisme »

I think the main board has been revised and there is now only 2GB soldered on and a 2GB DIMM in the slot to get the 4GB model. Problem is I don't think you can now expand to 8GB as advertised.
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

itisme wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 06:33 I think the main board has been revised and there is now only 2GB soldered on and a 2GB DIMM in the slot to get the 4GB model. Problem is I don't think you can now expand to 8GB as advertised.
You can likely verify that easily, just remove the sodimm that currently populated & boot the NAS while it's connected to a display via HDMI.
itisme

Post by itisme »

crisisacting wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 06:37
itisme wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 06:33 I think the main board has been revised and there is now only 2GB soldered on and a 2GB DIMM in the slot to get the 4GB model. Problem is I don't think you can now expand to 8GB as advertised.
You can likely verify that easily, just remove the sodimm that currently populated & boot the NAS while it's connected to a display via HDMI.
Before I opened the case I booted it and it showed 4GB in the menu. I then opened the case to see the the SODIMM in place and took it out to see it was a 2GB stick. Looking at the photos on the link you kindly provided I can see I only have the memory soldered on once side, the CPU side has empty solder pads.
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

itisme wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 06:58
crisisacting wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 06:37
Before I opened the case I booted it and it showed 4GB in the menu. I then opened the case to see the the SODIMM in place and took it out to see it was a 2GB stick. Looking at the photos on the link you kindly provided I can see I only have the memory soldered on once side, the CPU side has empty solder pads.
Since the J3455 officially only supports up to 8 GB of RAM & 6 GB SODIMM are not a thing, you might want to contact support to have them send you a replacement F5-422 unit with the proper 4 GB of RAM onboard, so you can actually get to 8 GB, by way of a single 4 GB SODIMM upgrade.

Return to “Hardware, Power and Accessories”