TERRAMASTER D5-300C Randomly Ejecting Drives

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
Olywa123

TERRAMASTER D5-300C Randomly Ejecting Drives

Post by Olywa123 »

Hello,
I have a TERRAMASTER D5-300C purchased Nov 2019 from Amazon UK that has been randomly ejecting drives. I have used the device in JBOB mode, loaded with 6/3/3/3/6TB from new, as a local media server (used only a few times per week) and to store photos, files & backups.

This started about a month ago when one drive was not accessible but has been occurring more and more frequently and now 3-4 times per week across several different drives.

The D5-300C is stored in a clean environment but I removed the disks and gave it a blow through with an air duster 2 weeks ago (I typically do this every 6-9 months anyway so there was not much dust in there). The fans appear to both be working fine and I have also replaced the USB C cable to rule this out. The disks are all in good health (according to CrystalDiskInfo64 and HWiNFO64) but the random unmounting is both frustrating & concerning and I am very worried that this will lead to data corruption or drive failure.

I'm now contemplating buying a replacement enclosure. I would have expected the Terramaster to last more than just over 2 years. Is there anything else I can do to diagnose or repair the enclosure or are there any options for spare parts (i.e. a replacement board?) as paying out for an enclosure that only last 2years is not ideal.

Many thanks
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: TERRAMASTER D5-300C Randomly Ejecting Drives

Post by TMSupport »

The product has been used for a long time. It is recommended to disassemble the device and use an eraser to clean the connecting finger on the SATA motherboard.
Are you using the original power adapter?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Olywa123

Post by Olywa123 »

Thank you for the response. Yes I am using the original power adaptor that it was supplied with.

When you say clean the connecting finger do you mean the contacts of the SATA socket for each of the five drive bays? I could understand one being tarnished or dirty and causing issues but several of them at the same time does seem likely?

Thanks
Olywa123

Post by Olywa123 »

*doesn't seem likely
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Olywa123

The contact between the motherboard and the sata backplane.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Olywa123

Post by Olywa123 »

Thanks for clarifying, I will take a look and give it a clean this weekend to see if that helps.
Olywa123

Post by Olywa123 »

I took the device apart last Friday evening and cleaned the contacts as suggested (first with an eraser and then gave it a wipe over with some Isopropyl Alcohol). Sadly this has not helped and I've had the device ejecting drives three times so far through this week.

I have noticed a pattern in that it is always HDD 1 & 2, together, that get ejected. Given the 300C has a 2+3 configuration I think this has to be a hardware fault. Are there any options to purchase replacement parts please given that the unit is a few months out of warranty?
Attachments
20220422_175527.jpg
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Olywa123

For warranty issues, please contact our service team, thank you!
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Olywa123

Post by Olywa123 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Olywa123
TMroy wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 23:22 For warranty issues, please contact our service team, thank you!
You misunderstand, the device is no longer under warranty, it was purchased at the end of 2019 and hence I'm asking for help as I would have expected it to last more than just over 2years.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

You can also contact them, and ask if they have a chance to provide you with some parts for fixing your device.
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)