TerraMaster F2-221 - TOS Becomes Unresponsive after 5 minutes

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
Genoxide85

TerraMaster F2-221 - TOS Becomes Unresponsive after 5 minutes

Post by Genoxide85 »

Hi there,

I have been running a TerraMaster F2-221 for over a year with 2x 4TB WD Red Pro - both disks were reported at 100% healthy before I decided to upgrade TOS to the latest version.

I initiated an auto TOS update and after it rebooted the TOS login page comes up, I can login however it becomes unresponsive within 4 minutes of booting up. This is clearly a TOS firmware issue.

If I try to refresh the page to login, it doesn't even load the login page.

1. How do I restore TOS to working order (preferably a stable release) without losing any data?

Thank you.
TMym
TerraMaster Team

Re: TerraMaster F2-221 - TOS Becomes Unresponsive after 5 minutes

Post by TMym »

Hi, you can reboot . Does the problem still occur after restarting? Other than that, do you have a virtual machine installed?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Genoxide85

Post by Genoxide85 »

Hi there,

Yes, the problem occurs after restarting. I have restarted about 10 times and each time it is the same exact issue, the TOS operating system becomes unresponsive after 3 minutes.

There was no VM's running. No web server. Just Plex.

Everything is inaccessible.

What are my options to fix this without losing any data?

I had a striped/mirror configuration, can I just remove one of the drives and copy the data using a USB HDD SATA reader or does TOS encrypt the files?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi!
When the TOS system becomes unresponsive, does the HDD light and the LAN light blink, can the TNAS PC search for the IP of the device?
Please try to unplug all hard drives and boot it again to see if the same problem occurs.
I had a striped/mirror configuration, can I just remove one of the drives and copy the data using a USB HDD SATA reader or does TOS encrypt the files?
Yes, you can remove one drive to backup the data. And TOS system does not automatically encrypt your files.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Genoxide85

Post by Genoxide85 »

TMSupport wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 17:24 Hi!
When the TOS system becomes unresponsive, does the HDD light and the LAN light blink, can the TNAS PC search for the IP of the device?
Please try to unplug all hard drives and boot it again to see if the same problem occurs.
Yes, you can remove one drive to backup the data. And TOS system does not automatically encrypt your files.
Hi,

the HDD lights remain green and they blink. I can ping the IP address of the NAS and receive a response, but that is all.

I cannot access any of the file shares on the network, the GUI is unresponsive.

I have removed both hard drives and placed them back and the issue still persists.
Genoxide85

Post by Genoxide85 »

I managed to fix it - please read and share in case anyone else has the same issue.

Each time I reboot I get about 2-3 minutes of access to the NAS before it becomes unresponsive - so I decided to quickly log in and uninstall one application at a time.

I uninstalled every extra application but the one which I think fixed it was the web server application. After I uninstalled this the NAS was working again.
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

Genoxide85 wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 19:41 I managed to fix it - please read and share in case anyone else has the same issue.

Each time I reboot I get about 2-3 minutes of access to the NAS before it becomes unresponsive - so I decided to quickly log in and uninstall one application at a time.

I uninstalled every extra application but the one which I think fixed it was the web server application. After I uninstalled this the NAS was working again.
Was one of your apps Clam? Depending on how you have it set to run, Clam can use 100% of CPU for a long time right after bootup making the GUI unresponsive.
Genoxide85

Post by Genoxide85 »

titanrx8 wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 08:58
Genoxide85 wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 19:41 I managed to fix it - please read and share in case anyone else has the same issue.

Was one of your apps Clam? Depending on how you have it set to run, Clam can use 100% of CPU for a long time right after bootup making the GUI unresponsive.
Hi Titan, yes - one my apps was Clam, however Clam was one that I did not uninstall. Good to know though, thank you.
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

[/quote]

Hi Titan, yes - one my apps was Clam, however Clam was one that I did not uninstall. Good to know though, thank you.
[/quote]

You're welcome. Good luck.

I have 2 F2-221's and have a minor panic anytime something isn't quite right. I'm a little calmer now that neither one is on the internet except for occasional updates to TOS.