F5-221 - Constant re-initialization loop

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
cpradio

F5-221 - Constant re-initialization loop

Post by cpradio »

I bought 2 F5-221 in November of 2020 and now one of them is in a constant re-initialization loop. It powers off and when I power it back on, it wants to go through re-initialization. I then give it the installation package and that hangs at 93% and then the process repeats.

I took a look at my second F5-221 and it is running 4.2.18, but that is not listed on
https://support.terra-master.com/downlo ... uct=F5-221

So I'm trying to install 4.2.17 without success.

Any thoughts on what my next step should be here?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: F5-221 - Constant re-initialization loop

Post by TMSupport »

Hi! It may be that the array was not successfully formed after booting, which leads to re-initialization. You can contact our tech team to check it remotely.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Please also take your drives into account, they could be failed. or even the file system crashed.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
cpradio

Post by cpradio »

I thought that too, but when the initialization tests the drives, it reports them all as Good.

The installation of the firmware/initialization halts at 93% when just one drive is present (was previously a hot spare drive).

I ordered a USB off amazon that has the OS pre-installed, hoping to see if that helps, as maybe its the USB that is failing? I can't really explain why it halts at 93% and just hangs with a single 6 TB drive in the bay.

Edited:
I should point out, I also tried using the 4.2.15 image and that behaves the same way, so it isn't a fault with the 4.2.17 installation image. That makes me believe even more, it is hardware, not software causing the problem.

I also have attempted it with ALL drives connected (all were detected and marked as Good) and I tried it with just one drive. Both situations the process halts at 93% and just sits. I let it sit over night (over 9 hours and it didn't move). A single 6 TB drive shouldn't take 9 hours.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

would you change another drive or re-format it on your computer before you plug it in tnas and try again.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
cpradio

Post by cpradio »

Sure I'll do that tonight. I'll format two drives and attempt the process again. The new USB drive should arrive by Saturday, so I'll have more answers next week.
cpradio

Post by cpradio »

Okay, so I formatted the hard drive (left it with zero partitions). Started the initialization process
Selection_056.png
Selection_056.png (14.78 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
Hard Drive is shown as Good

And it stalls at 93%
Selection_057.png
Also, I had to start the NAS without any drives connected to even get it to get to the initialization, which doesn't feel like a good sign. Likely means there are larger issues at play.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

The installation may not stop, but it may take some time because there are many setup processes. Please wait patiently.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
cpradio

Post by cpradio »

I let it sit overnight, it never completed...
cpradio

Post by cpradio »

This morning when I did it again, it got to 95% and then threw up this message (which is new)
Selection_059.png