F5-422 Automatic Wake Up and Shutdown issues

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
j.mrtns

F5-422 Automatic Wake Up and Shutdown issues

Post by j.mrtns »

Hello,

I have a F5-422 NAS for a while now and have been annoyed by two things about this NAS since the beginning. I really need to solve this issues now.

-First issue is that when i shutdown my NAS, it automatically starts after a while. I tried to remove all things that could wake up the NAS. I have no app installed, wake on lan inactive, and the NAS is basically only used for SMB/AFP transfers from my computer. Then i discovered that the NAS always wakes up exactly at the same hour every day (around 19:20). Is there a way to log what process makes the NAS constantly waking up every day?

-Second issue is that when i shut down my NAS it usually completely break the switch it is connected to. All other peripherals then lose internet connection and cannot access the router anymore until i unplug the NAS cable or restart the switch. This happens with both Gbe ports on NAS, on whatever switch port it is connected to. I already tried to change the ethernet cable, as well as the switch. Same thing every time. The only difference is that when plugged on Port 2 on NAS, it takes a little more time before the switch loses all connections. What could cause such an issue?

Thanks for your help.
TMnorah
TerraMaster Team

Re: F5-422 Automatic Wake Up and Shutdown issues

Post by TMnorah »

Hello!
Please check again to see if automatic startup, power-on-off schedule, and wake-up on LAN are enabled.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
j.mrtns

Post by j.mrtns »

Hello,

No i double checked. There is no automatic startup, power scheduling nor wake-up on lan activated in settings.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Please try to set a new power on schedule, and check if the new settings can overwrite the error.

Theoretically, a nas or computer cannot interfere with your router or switching, please check if your switching configured properly.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
j.mrtns

Post by j.mrtns »

Hello,

About the wake up issue, i looked at Bios settings and realised the hour the NAS wakes up every day is actually midnight for the system (because Bios time was wrong and the shift corresponds). I tried to set a new power on schedule in settings, it actually disable the 'midnight' wake up by replacing it but i guess if i remove it it will come back to midnight (we'll see tonight).

About the switch issue, it's just as if when powered off the NAS acted as a replacement of the gateway of my ISP provider router. My ISP provider router default IP is 192.168.1.254. My NAS LAN1 connected to the switch is 192.168.1.160 so it shouldn't interfere. But it does clearly (it's simple to check that when shut down if i plug the NAS cable it instantly break all connections on peripherals connected to the same switch and if i unplug everything comes back to normal). I tried 3 different switches and 3 different cables on both LAN1 and LAN2 F5-422 ports.
Interesting to note that this is not DHCP related (because it also happens on fixed IP peripherals) and also that this only happens to peripherals connected to the same switch behind the ISP router (Peripherals directly connected to ISP router are fine). Adding a second switch just for the NAS behind the first switch did not solve the problem.
eloo

Post by eloo »

{L_BUTTON_AT}j.mrtns
Hi, sorry to hear that you are affected by the same bug i have discovered. You can get more infos in this thread (for the automatic wake up): viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1334 It seems that TerraMaster is still not willing to fix this issue or at least allow the user to disable this broken feature at all.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}j.mrtns
we have a new version of bios that can resolve the issue of auto switch-on, do you want the new bios and flash it to your board. if you need it, please email to our tech team and ask for the new bios.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
eloo

Post by eloo »

TMroy wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 21:38 we have a new version of bios that can resolve the issue of auto switch-on, do you want the new bios and flash it to your board. if you need it, please email to our tech team and ask for the new bios.
is this fix also available for the F5-221?
And is this really a fix? So you have tested it?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Sure, we have tested it and the issue has been resolved. it can also work with F5-221.

IMPORTANT: if the issue does not disappear after you flash the new bios to your board, please clear your CMOS, to clear CMOS, remove the battery on the board and insert it back after a while.
eloo

Post by eloo »

@TMRoy
whats the new version if my bios is MAPL0304V17 ?