f4-210 frequent unscheduled shutdown/restart

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
ianbhenderson73

f4-210 frequent unscheduled shutdown/restart

Post by ianbhenderson73 »

Hello

My 18-month old F4-210 unit has started shutting itself down and/or rebooting outside it’s normal power-down schedule.

At present the unit is configured to shut itself down at 4am every day, and reawaken at 4:05am. The unit seems to “behave” for a few days consecutively but then starts looping. There seems to be no set time for this to happen and thus far I’ve been unable to find anything in the logs that might enlighten me.

This was happening a few months ago and at the time, Terramaster support did a remote support session and traced the issue to (I think) a need for the hard drives to be reorganised.

This unit is being used in a domestic environment, which means that the unit rebooting late at night is not ideal.

For information, the device contains two WD Red 4Tb drives. Both drives are reported by the OS as being good, with neither of them below 1Tb of available space. The device itself is running TOS 4.2.15-2107141517.

Any suggestions or assistance that can be provided would be very much appreciated.
TMA

Re: f4-210 frequent unscheduled shutdown/restart

Post by TMA »

Hello, please reinstall your system to check whether the phenomenon can disappear. Thanks
ianbhenderson73

TMA wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 13:31 Hello, please reinstall your system to check whether the phenomenon can disappear. Thanks
Is there a document available anywhere that can guide me through this process safely, without risking the integrity of my data?

Also, if I go through that process and the phenomenon still manifests, does that suggest that there’s a serious issue with the hardware itself?
V8Triker
Great Britain

Post by V8Triker »

The is a post in the "How To" section

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=423

I suggest you read the whole thread before commencing, but it should be a straightforward process.
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out the window.

TNAS F5-221
TOS 4.2.39-2203011626
3X WD RED PLUS 3TB (RAID5)
2X WD Green 2TB (RAID1)
1X WD 4TB USB
ianbhenderson73

V8Triker wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 15:42 The is a post in the "How To" section

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=423

I suggest you read the whole thread before commencing, but it should be a straightforward process.
Brilliant, thank you so much. I’ve had a brief scan of the thread and it looks pretty straightforward. Obviously I’ll read the thread in more depth and make sure I haven’t missed anything before I proceed.

I do have one last question though: is there any sort of log extract I can run before I carry out this operation? Obviously if this solves the problem then I’ll have no need for the log files but if the problem continues to manifest and I need to escalate it to the support desk, it would be good to have evidence of the issue having existed before (as well as after) I’ve carried out this process.
TMA

Post by TMA »

Hello, there is no log record with regard to the process of reinstallation temporarily. You can reinstall first and please contact us continuously if it does not work.
ianbhenderson73

TMA wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 18:23 Hello, there is no log record with regard to the process of reinstallation temporarily. You can reinstall first and please contact us continuously if it does not work.
Sorry, I possibly wasn’t clear in my last post. What I meant was, is there a way of exporting the logs from the unit BEFORE I do the reinstallation, so that if the reinstallation doesn’t solve the problem your support team can see logs from both before and after?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

may i know how frequently your TNAS reboot by itself? it happens several times in a day? or it just keeps rebooting?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ianbhenderson73

TMroy wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 22:22 may i know how frequently your TNAS reboot by itself? it happens several times in a day? or it just keeps rebooting?
It varies. It can go for days without anything other than the reboots according to the schedules I’ve configured. But then it’ll do it without any warning other then the alarms that go off at power-down/power-up. On Wednesday morning for example, it did it three or four times in the early hours (after 1am) before I eventually got sick of it and pulled the power cord.
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

ianbhenderson73 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 16:29
V8Triker wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 15:42 The is a post in the "How To" section

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=423

Brilliant, thank you so much. I’ve had a brief scan of the thread and it looks pretty straightforward. Obviously I’ll read the thread in more depth and make sure I haven’t missed anything before I proceed.

I do have one last question though: is there any sort of log extract I can run before I carry out this operation? Obviously if this solves the problem then I’ll have no need for the log files but if the problem continues to manifest and I need to escalate it to the support desk, it would be good to have evidence of the issue having existed before (as well as after) I’ve carried out this process.
Back up your data and config file before re- installing TOS.

The re- installation might go smoothly, it might not. TM won't help if your data is lost.

I had to reinstall TOS once and it wouldn't recognize the volume on the disks without reformatting. Luckily all my data was backed up. I do a daily rsync from my production TNAS to a backup TNAS and then weekly USB copies of the backup are stored off site.

Never reinstall or update TOS without backing up first.