Performance Issue - As low as 0 kb/s copy rate

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
Zyekad

Performance Issue - As low as 0 kb/s copy rate

Post by Zyekad »

I am having an issue with performance and my TerraMaster NAS and hope someone can help.

I have two of these and one doesn't have this issue while the other one does. They are both attached to the same network and configured identically, so I would have to believe with one working properly the second should work the same way. Every network adapter and the router is all 1 GB and every computer is connected with an ethernet cable. This same problem occurs when copying from any of the computers to the NAS, but if copying directly from one computer to another I get speeds of around 100 Mb/s (as shown in Windows). I have tried switching ethernet cables in case that was the issue, and it still has the same issue.

I have attached a screenshot showing performance while copying an ~100 gig file so it isn't a lot of smaller files but it is a single large one. You can see the performance fluctuates from 0 up to around 3.75 MB/s which is ridiculously low.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated since this poor performance is causing huge issues.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
NAS-Speed-Issue.jpg
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Performance Issue - As low as 0 kb/s copy rate

Post by TMroy »

Please refer to the article for troubleshooting: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=527
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Zyekad

Post by Zyekad »

Hello,

I already answered most of these in my original post and you can see the screenshots I attached with what the NAS is showing in regards to performance. To further clarify:

Ensure Gigabit connection between TNAS and your client computer. If you do not have a Gigabit router or switch handy, you can try connecting the network cable directly between the TNAS and your client computer to check if the low data transfer rate is caused by the router or network switch.

1) I am using a gigabit network. Everything is gigabit including the router, the NAS, and the computers that are using the NAS. If I transfer a file from one computer to another it gets speeds that are around 100 Mb/s which is normal, but transferring to the NAS the speeds are ridiculously slow.

Make sure your network cable is CAT5/e, and not bent or degraded. You can try to use another cable to see if the problem persists or is solved.

2) I have tried four different cables (2 Cat 5e and 2 Cat 6) and the same issue continues to occur. I have also tried different router ports and the issue still occurs.

If your computer is connected to a wireless network, please try to use a wired network to test the data transfer rate again.

3) Everything is wired and I don't use wireless at all.

If you recently set up your TNAS and created a new volume, the system inspection of new volume may consume system resources. Go to control panel in TOS to check volume status.

4) This NAS was set up quite a while ago so it isn't due to a new volume creation. You can see the system resources in the screenshot that I attached to the original message.

Make sure the drives installed in the TNAS are healthy. Worn out drives may prevent full utilization of the network.

5) The drives are brand new in the NAS, but I have not done any kind of disk checking due to them being brand new. *** QUESTION: Is there anything I can do in the NAS to have them check the drives for errors, or even do a surface scan? I know how to do this in Windows, but not through the NAS which appears to be linux based ***

Make sure no resource intensive tasks are not running on the TNAS. Check the CPU and drive utilization in Resource Monitor, or go to Control Panel to stop all other services except the services you need to run.

6) There are no resource intensive tasks running on the NAS. Again, see the screenshot from the original post and it is clear that there are more than enough available CPU and memory resources.

Check the performance of your client computer

7) The client computer is fine and copies to and from my other Terra Master NAS on the same network just fine with the correct speeds. I can also copy from one client computer to another directly with zero performance loss. This has nothing to do with the client computer, or it would be a problem with both NAS units and it is only slow on one of them.

CPU and storage performance of your client computer may affect the speed of file transfers. You can try to transfer files with a newer or different computer. Also, the drives on your computer may not be fast enough to accommodate the maximum speed of your TNAS, so you can consider using a computer with faster drives.

8) I have tried this with multiple different computers and have the identical issue with this NAS. The second NAS I have set up doesn't have this issue.

So the question is, what else can I do to fix this issue?

Sincerely,
David
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Please remove your current drives and try another drive, and install a new TOS, if the issue still remains, contact our services team for warranty service.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)