Hard Drives Issues

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
alimustafakhan

Hard Drives Issues

Post by alimustafakhan »

Hi, I have had 5 Hard Drives in my Terramaster NAS. 2 WD NAS Drives and 3 Normal Hard drives, 2tb, 2tb and 3tb. The WD NAS Drives are in one Volume and the normal drives are in other 3 volumes. This is all backup from my computer so I have no raid configuration. However, every few weeks one or more of the three normal hard drive has issues and the volume they are in. So I thought I will replace the 2 2tb drives with NAS drives. However when I was putting the new drives in my NAS, I was took out all drives as I did not remember in which slot was which drive. However, since then the 3tb drive lost its volume and unfortunately I don't have back up of that data. So when I tried to put the 3tb drive back in, it would not recognise it. It wants to delete all the data and create the new volume, this is completely unacceptable as there is data in it that I do not want to loose. Please let me know how to restate the 3 tb drive.
Thanks and Best Regards,
Ali
sianderson
Great Britain

Re: Hard Drives Issues

Post by sianderson »

if they are not in a raid array, you should just simply be able to plug them into a linux based computer (or a Linux VM on windows) and access the data so unless you have actually clicked yes to formatting the data, you should not have lost anything

i guess lesson to learn is dont just pull all hard drives out and then mix them up, work systematically ideally taking a backup copy of the drive first
F2-210

alimustafakhan

Post by alimustafakhan »

Thanks.... will try that
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMRyan »

Hi,
You can try to put the original five disks into the TNAS when it is turned off, and then turn it on again to see if the hard disk information can be read.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
alimustafakhan

Post by alimustafakhan »

Hi Ryan,

I tried it but it did not work. Anyway I was trying what siananderson suggested. I have never used Linux but had heard lots about it so figured that it would not be that difficult. So I had it installed and switched it on, after sometime I realised what was what when I go to volume it just does not show me my files. How do I get in.

I am attaching a picture which tell you where I was. It recognises the drive (3tb hard disk) says 2.1 tb is the loop drive. But does not allow me to access my data in it in any way that I can see. Can you please help. . .
Attachments
2021_04_02 23_05 Office Lens.jpg
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Hi,
To prevent accident, it is recommended to go to the data company to recover the data.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
alimustafakhan

Post by alimustafakhan »

TMS wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 09:42 Hi,
To prevent accident, it is recommended to go to the data company to recover the data.
No Sir,
You can't say that and wave your responsibility. Previously as well the NAS had failed and I had to work a lot to restore it. One fine day it just stopped recognising one of the volumes and in the end I had to rewrite all the data which I had. It switches off on its own and you have to restart it. Plex does not work as efficiently as it should. There are are few days when I don't have to bother about it.
Truth is that it is a shitty product, I should not have bought it and I will never advise anyone else to ever buy it. I should have spent £100 more and bought Synology, as your customer service is equally as bad as your product.
With no thanks at all.... Ali
alimustafakhan

Post by alimustafakhan »

TMS wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 09:42 Hi,
I am sorted thanks to guys at Synology....

No thanks to you Terra Master.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

alimustafakhan wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 19:09 However, every few weeks one or more of the three normal hard drive has issues and the volume they are in.
It is recommended to check the unrecognized disk (3 Normal Hard drives), whether there are many bad sectors,
please refer to this link: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1125
or we can remotely check whether the hard disk cannot be mounted viewtopic.php?f=75&t=608
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @