TNAS F4-220 Will not boot

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
shamons

TNAS F4-220 Will not boot

Post by shamons »

My F4-220 will not boot. I have not done an update. Was working fine yesterday, but today I cannot access. Four red lights for each hard drive. LAN1 light does not come on. Have tried pulling all four hard drives out and trying to boot with no drives inserted, same behavior (4 red drive LEDs, no LAN1 light, green power light).

Need some help on how to get the device to reboot. At the very least would like to get data off the drives.

Spencer
DiscoSi

Re: TNAS F4-220 Will not boot

Post by DiscoSi »

You could try the guide posted by support recently if you've not seen it.

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1455

Hopefully TM support will be along soon to advise.

DiscoSi
F5-221 TOS 4.2.09 4x4TB Seagate Ironwolf, 1x240GB Ironwolf SSD (Cache)
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMRyan »

{L_BUTTON_AT}shamons
Hello, Have you tried turning it off and reinserting it into the hard drive and turning it on again? If this is still the case after restarting, it is caused by the TOS system damage. You need to reinstall the TOS system. If you encounter a situation where you need to delete the volume during the reinstallation process, please stop the operation immediately and contact us. Deleting the volume will delete your data. . For installation, please refer to the following: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=423
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
shamons

Post by shamons »

Was able to get it back up and running. What I did was removed all the hard drives and tried to restart. Nothing happened.

I reinserted drive 1, restarted, nothing happened.

I reinserted drives 1 & 2, restarted, nothing happened.

I reinserted drives 1, 2, & 3, restarted. Device booted with with an error that a drive was missing. Allowed the system to boot fully.

I reinserted drives 1, 2, 3, & 4 and restarted. System booted, but still showed that drive 4 was missing. Did a bad sector scan on drive 4, found no errors. Rebuilt RAID5, system rebuilt and shows no errors.

@TMRyan - I have a message saying I should update TOS. I am on 4.1.21 - 2003031748. From your comment, it appears I can do the update without disrupting the underlying data, as long as I do not get a message stating that I need to "delete the volume". Can you confirm that is correct?

Thanks for the fast response everyone.

S. Hamons
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,
Your system shows that drive 4 is missing but it can be scanned for bad blocks because of a problem with the array. If you encounter this situation again,go to the storage pool on the control panel and click "Edit", and then click Repair Array.
Under normal circumstances, the volume and storage pool are not deleted, and the data will not be deleted.
To prevent unknown situations, you can back up your data first, and then you can safely upgrade.
If you need to upgrade the system, you need to manually upgrade to 4.1.27, then manually upgrade to 4.1.30, and finally manually upgrade to 4.2.07. The operation connection is as follows:viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1064
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)