Nas Review and Comparison

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
ETCornerReviews

Nas Review and Comparison

Post by ETCornerReviews »

With most of the world’s population having some form of digital device, the secure storage of their digital content is becoming of greater importance for everyday users. There are a lot of services which offer online storage of one’s data, however, many users are skeptical of how their data is being used on such platforms. This is where so-called Network Attached Storage or NAS devices come into play. There are many such solutions available as an open sourced, free software package such as Nextcloud (https://nextcloud.com) or OwnCloud, (https://owncloud.com) however today we want to look at commercially available hardware and software.

I will be reviewing 3 sponsored NAS systems (Asustor Lockerstor 4, Synology DS920+, and TerraMaster F5-422) which I picked out due to their hardware and software configuration. This review is intended specifically for content creators such as photo / video editors or CAD users with a large and growing model database. As the latter is the case for me, I have decided to review affordable solutions to increase one’s network attached storage solutions and CAD productivity.

Nevertheless, whether you are looking for a NAS solution for your home or business scenario, or simply interested in reading about new networking hardware, my full review should be of interest to you as I will also be giving a general summary of each of the NAS’s capabilities and comparing them with each other.

The F5-422 by TerraMaster took me quite by surprise! I was not expecting this system to be able to keep up with such popular and well-situated companies in the NAS scene; it was a close call. TerraMaster is a company which is making a name for itself with affordable but also good NAS solutions. They are becoming more known and with good reason. For a NAS system with 10GbE networking, TerraMaster is hard to beat with their affordability. Even though this NAS was in last place for my use-case, this does NOT mean that it is in last place for your intended scenario. I would advise anyone with 10GbE networking integration or the desire to future proof their NAS to check out the F5-422. Furthermore, if you have a high need for speed and want to get every bit of throughput possible out of your NAS system, then I would advise you to give this NAS from TerraMaster a shot. To find out more and read my full review / overview of the F5-422 click here: https://www.student.kit.edu/~uekqa/nas-cad-review

DISCLAIMER: This is still my personal / subjective opinion, even though I tried my best to keep the review and comparison as objective as possible.
justsimon

Re: Nas Review and Comparison

Post by justsimon »

Thanks!
I've bookmarked that for later today, I'm interested to see what you found.

Just a small note, the page you linked to, the images are enormous for a web page and take a long time to load.
You may want to resize them as thumbnails and link to the larger images.

Sorry if I'm saying things you already know, but currently it's the html code telling the browser what size they should be displayed at, but the files themselves are:
NAS - 2048x1536 - 2.98MB
HDD/SSD - 1945x2048 - 3.85MB
Network gear - 1500x934 - 715KB

I'm looking forward to the read, and to see if you've included any of the feedback we've been giving Terra-Master