[F5-221] Automatic wake up

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
eloo

[F5-221] Automatic wake up

Post by eloo »

Hi,

i have recently bought a T5-221 and i'm now working on to get my new NAS set up to my needs.
But i've discovered a weird behaviour in the last days.

The NAS is automatically starting at midnight every day. I'm not sure what the reason is.
The NAS is fully shutdown and then at midnight it is starting out of nowhere.

I've already made the following tests:
* Unplug ethernet to check if its a WOL in my network -> Still starting at midnight
* Unplug my main drive -> Still starting at midnight
* Change bios time -> Starting at the "new" midnight
* Check bios config or some "rtc wake triggeres" or so -> couldn't find anything

So i'm curious what is triggering this wake ups and how i could stop it.
Do you have any ideas? is there many something not visible in the bios which could case this behaviour?

Thanks
eloo
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: [F5-221] Automatic wake up

Post by TMS »

Try the following steps:
1. Shut down, unplug all hard drives, press and hold the reset button of the small hole for 10 seconds, put the hard drive back on, if it still wakes up automatically, please perform the second step
2. Shut down, disassemble the machine, remove the battery, connect the positive and negative poles with an iron wire (short-circuit for 2 to 3 seconds), then install the machine and put it in the hard disk, see if the problem still occurs?
Looking forward to your reply.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
eloo

Post by eloo »

Thanks for the quick answer.

But sadly both did not work.

The 1. hint didn't make any noticable difference.
At least the second hint seems to reset the bios as the clock and the setting where changed.

But with both it doesn't work.
The device is still booting at 00:00.

Any other hints? Is this a bug in the bios?

PS: tested it without any hard drives connected

PPS: More information:
BIOS vendor: American Megatrends
Core Version: 5.12
BIOS Version: MAPL0304V17
Build date: 07/27/2020 16:53:07

Btw: I'm not sure why the bios is a EVALUATION VERSION. This is printed at the very start. I guess thats not proper licensing
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Have you set the timed boot setting?please check it.
You can back up the data, reinstall the system, and check whether the device is still booting at 00:00.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
eloo

Post by eloo »

Where can i find this option?

In the bios there is nothing like this.
Is this a TOS option? Currently i have not yet finished the TOS installation.
Is this alarm then written from TOS to the RTC?
eloo

Post by eloo »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMS

can you please answer my questions?

Thanks
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Hi, it is recommended to install the system, if there is still automatic wake up, please contact our tech team remotely (timing switch machine is in the control panel 》hardware & power).
eloo

Post by eloo »

Hi,

i have some news about the wakeup issue.
Your hint with the settings in TOS was good. But i have also seen a bit unexpected behaviour.
So after installing TOS i have checked the setting you have mentioned. It was disabled. So i have enabled, saved, disabled, saved it.
Then the wakeup was gone.

But then i have accidentally started the installer again (removed the drives) and afterwards the wakeup was happing again.
So maybe the wakeup will set in the TOS installer? Can you maybe give some insights here?

Also i'm curious why TOS is saying that the automatic wakeup is disabled but actually its enabled.

Update: Okay looks like my assumption from above is maybe not fully fitting. After a small change in the BIOS it looks like the wakeup came back.
So maybe its also related to a hidden bios setting?
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Thanks, we are constantly looking for related reasons, if there are any other findings, please let us know.
eloo

Post by eloo »

Okay sounds good.

Maybe helpful would be if you could provide some information what the "disable automatic start" option is doing in background.
and how the stored start times are stored.. so i could maybe check if there are some alarms set or so.

also i've seen a "disable rtc wakeup" or so on on the start in the messages.. do you know what this is doing exactly?

Thanks