F2-220 failure, initBoot doesn't work, want data

Topics about hardware platform, power, memory, UPS, network adapter
jay123

F2-220 failure, initBoot doesn't work, want data

Post by jay123 »

I have a F2-220 unit that stopped working. When I power it on, the power light is green, and the two drive lights are immediately red. The network never comes up.

I followed the posted procedure to create a new USB boot drive with grub and the bzImage file. I'm fairly confident I got this correct, but it doesn't appear to work. I've tried both the internal and external USB jacks with the same result (power, two red HD lights, no network). The same behavior is seen with no boot drive connected. I'm curious if there is a console port or some other way to see what's going on with the unit at a low level.

While it might be nice to recover the unit, I care much more about getting the data off the drives. If we can recover the unit, that's great, but this isn't the first Terramaster unit we've had fail, and I'm not sure I want to put a lot of effort into recovering it. I really don't want to spend the money on a F2-221, especially without absolutely knowing it will work. What I mostly want is the data. The system was configured in a RAID1 configuration with two 8TB drives. My understanding is that this unit uses BTRFS. If I can install the BTRFS modules on one of my Linux systems, can I just mount the partition(s) directly? What other options do I have?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: F2-220 failure, initBoot doesn't work, want data

Post by TMSupport »

After unplugging all the hard drives and then turning it on, can you hear a beep?
Can TNAS PC find the device after waiting for two minutes?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
jay123

Post by jay123 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMSupport

None of the following conditions produce a beep on power-up: USB+HDs, USB-only, nothing (I didn't test HDs with no USB).

The LAN 1 light never comes on (even after 10+ minutes) so I assume the network never comes up. TNAS PC is unable to find the device.
JKytta

Post by JKytta »

Hi jay123 and support,

I'm having the same problem with my F4-220. Last night I was playing music from the drive and it lost network connection. I shut it down and it came up after it took about a half an hour repairing the drives. I woke up today and the NAS will not come online. The power light is green and the drives spin-up but the drive lights are all red and I can't reach the device over the network. I too need my data back.

I don't want to reinitialize until I get my data.

Please help.

Jeff
jay123

Post by jay123 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}JKytta
Well, since tech support hasn't followed up, and never actually answered or addressed any of my issues, so we move on. I pulled both drives from my F2-220. Hooked them up to USB adapters. I like these, because they come with external power supplies, and are prefect for quick, fast things like this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E7EPKUO Plugged them into one of my Ubuntu 22 machines. It's running off an SFF PC I got off eBay for ~$125. Made sure "mdadm" tools were installed. Rebooted. System found the drives and recreated the array automatically. Use "lsblk -fm" to list devices, partitions, and RAID members. Drives have ext4 filesystems using Linux MD software-RAIDs. Mounted the proper "/dev/md*" device. It look about 30 seconds to sync the ext4 journals, and then mounted just fine. For now, it is mounted read-only while I figure out what my bigger plan is. I might just find new disk enclosures and leave it, or maybe find a PCIe SATA card and just direct wire them.
n2o1988

Post by n2o1988 »

Hi everyone, I got the exact same issue described here, and the initBoot procedure didn't seem to help much. I also have two 8TB drives hooked in what I _think_ was a RAID1 setup (this was setup up so long ago that I don't remember anymore). Same issue, red lights for hdd, no lights for LAN, green light for power.

My question here is: if I buy a new NAS (not necessarily Terramaster, let's say different brand), can I just hook in the two drives and still access my data? Just like the user that started the thread, I mostly care about the data at the moment, less about the unit.
Criddler23

Post by Criddler23 »

jay123 wrote: 22 Feb 2023, 16:38 I have a F2-220 unit that stopped working. When I power it on, the power light is green, and the two drive lights are immediately red. The network never comes up.

I followed the posted procedure to create a new USB boot drive with grub and the bzImage file. I'm fairly confident I got this correct, but it doesn't appear to work. I've tried both the internal and external USB jacks with the same result (power, two red HD lights, no network). The same behavior is seen with no boot drive connected. I'm curious if there is a console port or some other way to see what's going on with the unit at a low level.

While it might be nice to recover the unit, I care much more about getting the data off the drives. If we can recover the unit, that's great, but this isn't the first Terramaster unit we've had fail, and I'm not sure I want to put a lot of effort into recovering it. I really don't want to spend the money on a F2-221, especially without absolutely knowing it will work. What I mostly want is the data. The system was configured in a RAID1 configuration with two 8TB drives. My understanding is that this unit uses BTRFS. If I can install the BTRFS modules on one of my Linux systems, can I just mount the partition(s) directly? What other options do I have?

I have a similar issue, had a power cut, when I tried to reboot the Nas, no beep, and 2 red lights on hdd 1& hdd2 ( I have 4 bay 2200)
Looking for any help, don’t want to lose all my data

Thanks
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Your system or file system may corrupt during the power cut. Please try to reinstall your TOS, if it can come back then the file system is fine. but if during the system installation, you are prompted to create a new storage pool, then you need to quit and do not continue. What is your previous TOS version?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)