Firewall Rules Help

Topics related to system security only
antislow

Firewall Rules Help

Post by antislow »

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the Firewall correctly. I am trying to create an "Allow" rule for my local IP address range and allow all ports. However, the UI is giving me an error stating that to config is not valid. I was then going to create a "Deny" rule for everything else (internet) and individual public IP rules for any public IPs I want to provide access to.

I've attached screenshots, but when I get to the end and click Apply, it throws and "Incorrect firewall rule" error. What am I doing wrong? I couldn't find good documentation for the firewall or its behavior. Does it act like a traditional firewall where you put in a priority for each rule and they're evaluated in that order?
antislow

Re: Firewall Rules Help

Post by antislow »

I forgot to post screen shots in my last post.
Attachments
SCR-20230225-fdt.png
SCR-20230225-ff4.png
SCR-20230225-fde.png
antislow

Post by antislow »

Possible to get any help with the above? Am I thinking about the Firewall wrong?

There's not much documentation on how it works under the hood and not sure why it won't allow me to "Allow" my local subnet/network.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

When setting the allowed firewall, the IP address of your computer needs to be within the allowed range, or your computer will be blocked by the rule.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
antislow

Post by antislow »

I was mixing up two octets in my local IP address range. Numbers were similar, so I wasn't picking up on it at first. I was able to get the rule added. Thank you.
antislow

Post by antislow »

Now it seems with the allow rule for my local network, the TNAS is not able to talk to the internet. So my elephant backup, checking for updates, etc. does not work while the rule is enabled. The rules seem to only be for incoming and I don't see a way to allow outbound traffic to the internet. How do I allow the TNAS to talk to the internet if using the firewall?
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

Have you tried adding an allow rule for the specific domain name of your cloud backup server? I don't use the tnas firewall because I have another firewall but when I did use the tnas firewall that worked.