VPN Server

More about TOS 5 new features and improvements. Note: this forum is not for bug report! If you want to report bug, please go to the correct forum.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

VPN Server

Post by TMroy »

VPN Server provides you with an easy-to-use VPN solution, which can set up a TNAS device as a VPN server to allow other devices to remotely connect to TNAS through a private channel to ensure data communication security. Multiple devices connected to the VPN Server can form an interconnected network through private channels.

Supports multiple VPN protocols
TerraMaster VPN Server supports PPTP, OpneVPN and L2TP/IPSec protocols, which can adapt to different network environments and meet your different business needs.

Multiple authentication methods
VPN Server supports PAM and LDAP authentication, can connect with local users and domain users, and supports PAP, MS-CHAP, MD5, SHA, RSA and other authentication methods to ensure the privacy of private channel connections.

Real-time network I/O monitoring
VPN Server uses graphs to monitor the network I/O of each VPN connection in real-time, allowing you to know the status of online devices and the I/O load of the network in time.

Simple operation interface
VPN Server uses a flat menu, each VPN connection is managed separately, and the advanced setting items use the default options to avoid troubles for users due to complicated configuration options. It is simple, intuitive, and very suitable for home users and small and medium-sized buisness users.

Log tracking
VPN Server provides a complete operation log and execution log, which is convenient for you to understand the operation history and the connection status of the VPN service, which can help you to quickly troubleshoot the fault.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
OllieHardy

Re: VPN Server

Post by OllieHardy »

Hey TMRoy,

I finally got the VPN working! Thanks for your instructions. I now have the below scenario:

I want to be able to access my NAS files on my usual laptop, but when I am not at home, connected to my usual LAN/Wifi. I had the idea of connecting to my mobile phone's wireless hotspot, but unfortunately my OpenVPN on my laptop does not connect, meaning access to my NAS isn't granted (I assume this is what the VPN's purpose was)

I then had the idea that maybe I would have to install the OpenVPN android app, given that the source of the internet was now coming from my phone. I have transferred my OpenVPN profile to the android device, but unfortunately it does not connect, even when I try to add the certificate.

My question to you then is, am I doing the right steps, i.e. is the OpenVPN app on android necessary to be able to grant my laptop access to my NAS files on file explorer in the usual way?

Regards,

Ollie
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I am sorry! I can't be sure if your openvpn connection can work in such a way you are trying now. But connecting through an openvpn client from your laptop seems to make sense more.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
PhilJG2021

Re: VPN Server and Duple Backup

Post by PhilJG2021 »

I have two TNAS servers, the first one is my home network server and the second one is a backup server. I am using Duple to back up the whole of the home server to the backup server. Once my initial backup is complete I will be locating the backup server remotely to do hybrid backups on a regular basis.
I will also set up the remote backup server as a VPN host and the home network server as a VPN client, the intention being that the Duple backup routine would use the VPN tunnel between the home network and the back up network. Is there any advice or set up instructions you can give me to ensure that the Duple backup uses the VPN tunnel?
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}PhilJG2021
You can refer to this to set up VPN at your remote backup server. viewtopic.php?f=83&t=2821 Dual backup can support remote IP/link Of course, if you want to use VPN to realize remote connection, please note that after your VPN client connects to the VPN server, use dynamic IP instead of remote backup server IP Or what else do you care about? It's hard to guess your meaning because you don't seem to say your problem clearly
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}PhilJG2021

To back up through VPN tunnel, you need to connect your backup server by using the IP address from the VPN IP pool.
PhilJG2021

Post by PhilJG2021 »

Thanks. This gives me lots of good advice on how to achieve the back up through the VPN tunnel.
Noco

Post by Noco »

hi guys

I have a problem with VPN Server, I don't know if it happened to you too.
I set up VPN server on an open VPN using duckdns ddns (to be able to resolve the public IP) to be able to connect from various notebooks, in notebooks I use the OpenVpn connector 3 app.

The NAS (T6) is connected directly to a mixed fiber ADSL line and configured in the modem as DMZ while the various notebooks are always connected remotely, always on the ADSL line.

the problem is that I can't get more than 3/4 Mb in down/up load.

Is there any way to get more bandwidth?

I'm no expert so...