All New Duple Backup

More about TOS 5 new features and improvements. Note: this forum is not for bug report! If you want to report bug, please go to the correct forum.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

All New Duple Backup

Post by TMroy »

Duple Backup has not been released an official version before TOS 5 and has been developing and testing it. In TOS 5, we have redesigned Duple Backup. The new Duple Backup has optimized the user interface, added some features, and improved the user experience.

Duple Backup has powerful backup and restore functions, and is a disaster recovery tool designed to strengthen the data security of TNAS devices. To prevent data loss due to TNAS device hardware failure or system failure, through Duple Backup's intuitive user menu, you can back up important folders or iSCSI LUNs in TNAS to multiple destinations (such as remote TNAS devices, file servers, or cloud disks) ), and supports multiple backup strategies of incremental backup and multi-version backup. The backup and restore process is very simple and intuitive, and can quickly restore lost data in the event of a device failure.

Various backup objects
The backup object of Duple Backup can be the shared folder in TNAS or the specified file directory. Not only that, it can also back up the iSCSI LUN and the configuration of the iSCSI LUN in the TNAS device to meet the needs of backing up the data in the TNAS. .

Multiple destinations
According to business needs, you can choose up to 4 different backup destinations for the data in TNAS, such as: another TNAS device, file server, WebDAV server, various mainstream cloud disks. With the Duple Backup Vault client, using two TNAS devices for mutual backup can greatly simplify the backup configuration process.

Multiple backup strategies
According to business requirements and storage resource configuration, you can select incremental backup or multi-version backup strategies for backup tasks to improve storage space utilization.

Secure data transfer
Taking data security into full consideration, Duple Backup uses SSL certificate encryption throughout the backup task to ensure the security of data transmission.

Efficient transmission
In order to improve backup efficiency, before performing backup tasks, data is compressed and then transmitted, and the maximum compression rate can be as high as 30%, which not only reduces the user's network bandwidth usage, but also saves storage space and reduces customers' IT investment costs.

Restoration is easy
Through an intuitive graphical interface, Duple Backup provides suitable restoration methods for different destinations. When an accident occurs, users can use Duple Backup's restoration tool to restore data in a very short period of time to reduce losses caused by disasters.

3-2-1 Backup Strategy
In order to prevent data loss in the event of an accident, the 3-2-1 backup strategy is widely adopted by many users, that is, to keep at least 3 backups of data, 2 of which are stored on different devices, and at least 1 is stored in a different place. Duple Backup, as a backup tool specially designed for TNAS, is ideal for a 3-2-1 backup strategy.

In full control
Duple Backup not only provides users with a detailed backup and restore task configuration history, but also provides a list of millions of file backups and transfers, allowing you to monitor the backup progress and various exceptions throughout the process.

Suitable for a variety of applications
Duple Backup is not only suitable for home users, but also for business users with multiple offices or branch offices. With local backup and off-site backup of branch offices, it can provide reliable security for data.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sgbillee

Re: All New Duple Backup

Post by sgbillee »

Thank you, and yes, I have tried it.

Unfortunately, it is not able to backup to external USB HDD. I have attached an external USB3.0 HDD enclosure with 20TB to do a daily backup, it is detected as usbshare1 by Terramaster F4-423. However, when I run Duple Backup, usbshare1 does not appear in the backup destination.

Will this feature be implemented in the future release ?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

To backup USB, please use another app "USB Copy".
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sgbillee

Post by sgbillee »

Yes, but USB Copy can only copy or backup one folder at a time. There are certain folders in the F4-423 that do not need to backup, for eg., public folder.

If I have few important folders and need to backup from Monday to Saturday, to create such USB copy schedule is very inefficient. For example, if I had 10 folders, I have to create 10 tasks for a single day backup or a total of 60 tasks for Monday to Saturday

However, if there is an efficient way for USB Copy which I am not aware of, I would appreciate your sharing.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Instead of 60, you only need to create 10 tasks to back up 10 folders. You can set a backup schedule for each task. Just try to use the USB Copy, you will understand.
sgbillee

Post by sgbillee »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I did and find it inefficient. Probably, I did not go into the details of the backup plan requested by my client.

My client is requesting to backup those data for 6 days into respective USB HDD backup folders labelled Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Yes, F4-423 is running RAID10 with 4 x 2TB WD RED and the USB HDD is 24TB

So, 10 tasks are needed for backing up 10 folders for a single day. For example, to backup the 10 folders data into the USB HDD Monday folder, it is 10 tasks.

If I had to backup the same 10 folders into the USB HDD Tuesday folder, it is another 10 Tasks, and so on for the next 4 days' backup. It will be a total of 60 tasks creation.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

In USB Copy, there is a mode called multi-version backup. This mode will back up the whole folder each time. you can set the backup task as multi-version backup, and set up a backup schedule run from Monday to Saturday so that you can have 6 backups for each day.
sgbillee

Post by sgbillee »

Ok thanks, I will try it
PhilJG2021

Post by PhilJG2021 »

I am having trouble getting Duple Backup to work from a home TNAS server to a remote TNAS dedicated back up server.
I have Duple Backup vault installed on the backup server and port 5443 is mapped on the remote network router from the router to the IP address of the backup server. The remote router has a DDNS address that I have tested with ping and is pointing to the correct internet address.

On my home server I have client Duple Backup installed and have taken the following steps to create a back up:
First screen - Selected folder option
Second screen - Name task-1, Type Server, Destination Remote TNAS device
Third screen - Address is my DDNS address, Port 5443 as default, Username and Password are as per login details to the TNAS Backup Server

Press connect and I'm getting an error message - that I cannot connect.

Is there anything obvious that I am doing wrong?

Do you have any idiot proof instructions to which you can point me to resolve my issues?

Frustrated!! :cry: :cry:
TMtina
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMtina »

We will verify this problem. If this problem is found, we will fix and update it in time. Please check whether your port is correctly mapped first.