All New Centralized Backup

More about TOS 5 new features and improvements. Note: this forum is not for bug report! If you want to report bug, please go to the correct forum.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

All New Centralized Backup

Post by TMroy »

Centralized Backup has not released an official version before TOS 5, and has been developing and testing it. In TOS 5, we have redesigned the Centralized Backup. The new Centralized Backup has re-optimized the user interface, added some functions, and improved the user experience.

Centralized Backup is a professional disaster recovery tool specially developed for business users. By using Centralized Backup, company IT managers can use TNAS as the central backup server, without having to configure each host separately, and use TNAS as the initiator to centrally back up the storage space of internal employee computers, workstations, servers, virtual machines, or even is the system partition.

Developed for business users
For business users, data security is extremely important, and for IT administrators, it is a huge challenge to make timely backups of various servers and be able to manage the personal computer data of multiple employees. Centralized Backup combines the needs of business users to provide a centralized active-backup solution.

Multi-purpose machine
By running Centralized Backup on a TNAS device, only one TNAS device can be used to meet the backup requirements of the enterprise for employees' computers, servers, file servers, virtual machines, and workstations, greatly reducing the enterprise's IT investment costs.

Employee computer backup
Different from general backup tools, Centralized Backup does not require employees to participate in the backup process. IT administrators can initiate backup requests from the server through Centralized Backup's PC backup module, and can actively back up folders on hundreds of employees' computers. , disk partition, or system partition. Centralized Backup can greatly protect digital assets scattered on employees' computers, and can greatly reduce the workload of IT administrators.

Server backup
The server is the central nervous system of an enterprise's digital information. The server not only runs a variety of application environments such as OA, CRM, and ERP that support business operations, but also stores important business data. Through the server backup function of Centralized Backup, IT administrators can simultaneously backup systems and data of multiple servers to TNAS. When an accident occurs, the abnormal host can be quickly restored, greatly reducing the impact of equipment failure on the business.

File server backup
The file server is the storage center of enterprise digital assets. Disasters such as unexpected power outages, equipment failures, and system failures may lead to the loss of precious digital assets. Through the file server backup function of Centralized Backup, IT administrators can back up the file directories of multiple file servers to TNAS, reducing the risk of data loss in the event of a disaster.

Virtual machine storage backup
Centralized Backup supports storage backup of VMware Vshpere and Windows Hyper-V virtual machines. Through the virtual machine backup function of Centralized Backup, the backup of multiple virtual machine clients can be initiated from TNAS.

Multi-version restore
Centralized Backup provides the backup target multi-version management function. When a disaster occurs, IT administrators can roll back the time of the repository to find the correct backup version to restore to the specified destination host.

In full control
Centralized Backup not only provides users with detailed backup and restore task configuration history, but also provides millions of logs, allowing you to monitor the backup progress and various exceptions throughout the process. By enabling the notification function, administrators can keep track of the progress status of backup and restoration in a timely manner.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ChrisOfTheOT
Great Britain

Re: All New Centralized Backup

Post by ChrisOfTheOT »

Morning - I've installed Centralised Backup but I can't get it to work. I'm trying to backup my Dell Win10 laptop to our F2-221 running TOS 5.0.123-00160.

1) The 'Edit' option is greyed-out so I can't change (or check!) anything on the task.

2) I tried to set a daily schedule but although it says it is 'Enabled', it also says 'Frequency - 1 hour'. I set a time each morning but the 'Next Run' is (basically) never.

3) Although I have run it three times (including over-night, when it got to about 50%), the only information recorded are the two small 'C.bitmaps' in date folders. Where did the data go? (It's not on usbshare1, 2 or 3 - and there are no others.)

4) There is 'No valid data' in the 'Logs'.

5) In 'Backup Type' I selected 'Custom', which offered 'C' as the only option (I had hoped for folder selection). Should I have chosen 'System Backup'?

6) In 'Restore', the only 'Source' is 'C' - but I have no idea where that is stored (presumably, on usbshare2).

7) In 'Restore\Task Version Information', there are 3 backups listed, but there are only 2 folders on the drive (as in 3), above).

I have a couple of screen shots but I can't work out how to post them!

So, what have I done wrong now?

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisOfTheOT
Great Britain

Post by ChrisOfTheOT »

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post - please move it, if needs be.

Chris
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}ChrisOfTheOT

1. The backup task on the PC side does not support the editing function temporarily.
2. Centralized Backup supports backing up the system partition or disk partition of the computer.
3. If you want to view the backed up files, go to "Restore", click "More" > "Open the restore portal".
4. If you still have problems, you can send an email to pm(at)terra-master.com.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ChrisOfTheOT
Great Britain

Post by ChrisOfTheOT »

Thanks for the reply, Support - much appreciated. :-)
[quote=TMSupport post_id=19171 time=1655806844 user_id=59]
1. The backup task on the PC side does not support the editing function temporarily.[\quote]
Ah, okay. I note that this is still beta, so I understand this.
2. Centralized Backup supports backing up the system partition or disk partition of the computer.[/quote]
I see - that's fair enough. This 'either/or' option is sufficient for our backup needs - thanks for explaining that.
3. If you want to view the backed up files, go to "Restore", click "More" > "Open the restore portal".[/quote]
I'll look at this later - for now, there are no backups to check as they've all failed.
4. If you still have problems, you can send an email to pm(at)terra-master.com.[/quote]

I might try emailing to PM as it's still a bit 'off balance': for instance, Centralised Backup seems to be continually doing a client backup. Now it's been going again - I didn't start it - for about 5 hours and is only at 20%. I'll let it run but it means my laptop has be on and active for two straight days & one night without a break. Also, the CPU usage on the NAS is constantly over 90%, I know as it keeps telling me!

Anyway, we'll see how this latest backup progresses...

Thanks again - cheers,

Chris
singhanupam

Post by singhanupam »

workstations, greatly reducing the enterprise's IT investment costs