TFSS-- Keep your data away from being attacked by ransomware

More about TOS 5 new features and improvements. Note: this forum is not for bug report! If you want to report bug, please go to the correct forum.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

TFSS-- Keep your data away from being attacked by ransomware

Post by TMroy »

At present, ransomware is raging around the world, and our data is facing more and more risks. Every year, more than one million devices around the world are attacked by ransomware, resulting in the loss of a large number of precious digital assets, and a large number of users are forced to pay expensive ransoms in exchange for decryption keys.
fss1.png
fss2.png
TFSS (TerraMaster File System Snapshot) is a disaster recovery tool developed based on the BTRFS file system. By taking advantage of the characteristics of the file system to take a snapshot of the entire file system of the TNAS device, it can avoid data loss due to wrong operations or ransomware attacks.

Filesystem level snapshots
TFSS is a snapshot tool based on the BTRFS file system. The BTRFS file system introduces advanced storage technology and Snapshot snapshot technology, which can provide flexible and efficient data protection and recovery tools while improving high data integrity.

Entire file system protection
Once TFSS is enabled, it will automatically snapshot all volumes in the TNAS device using the BTRFS file system, without the need to manually set the snapshot destination and storage location, and all data under the file system will be fully protected. Each file system can retain up to 1024 snapshots, providing you with adjustable data protection capabilities that save storage capacity and meet stringent snapshot performance requirements.

Safer protection strategy
In order to improve the security of snapshots and prevent the snapshot files from being attacked by ransomware, the snapshot files of TFSS are stored in a hidden directory with variable names, not only that, all snapshot files are stored as special read-only format so that general system commands cannot modify or delete the snapshot files.

Requires very little storage space
The TFSS snapshot function uses the BTRFS COW (copy-on-write) feature, so snapshots can be created almost instantly. Each snapshot only needs dozens of K storage space, and it can provide secure data protection without occupying a lot of disk space.

Efficient data restoration
When a disaster occurs or is attacked by ransomware, through TFSS's intuitive graphical interface, you can browse historical versions of file system snapshots and restore data to the state before the disaster with just a few clicks.

Custom snapshot schedule
TFSS provides a customizable snapshot task schedule, and the snapshot time, period, and frequency can be customized. With a comprehensive snapshot schedule, you will no longer be afraid of ransomware attacks and give your data peace of mind.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
tepe

Re: TFSS (TerraMaster File System Snapshot)

Post by tepe »

Could you explain how Frequency work? In your example, snapshot will be taken:
a) Will start at 12:00 will take snapshot on every hour?
b) Will do one snapshot everyday at 12:00 ?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Custom snapshot schedule
TFSS provides a customizable snapshot task schedule, and the snapshot time, period, and frequency can be customized. With a comprehensive snapshot schedule, you will no longer be afraid of ransomware attacks and give your data peace of mind.
tfss_schedule.png
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Scare

Re: TFSS-- Keep your data away from being attacked by ransomware

Post by Scare »

Is the equivalent of TFSS in TOS 4 the app that's just called "Snapshot"?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Scare

Not, they are different. If you are a TOS 5 user, you should know you have a "Snapshot" too, find it in app center.
Scare

Post by Scare »

Thanks for the quick reply. No, I'm still on 4.2.39- ("minus"?), just got an F5-221 a few days ago and that's what the default installer pulls in. Got it started with a 1TB WD Green I had lying around, and just today I got my first 20TB WD Red Pro and plugged it in minutes ago.

Where can I find the status of the TOS 5 development? Is it fully functional yet? There's this thread ( viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3801 ) which looks like it's still in the works.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Scare
Please refer to the link to update to TOS 5.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
tres

Post by tres »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Scare
TMroy wrote: 21 Oct 2022, 10:17 Not, they are different. If you are a TOS 5 user, you should know you have a "Snapshot" too, find it in app center.
Does the integrated File System Snapshot function in Backup under TOS 5.0 now work the same as the Snapshot app from the app center? Or do we still have to download the app?
T6-423 - TOS 5.0 - 3x16TB Seagate IronWolf Pro / 3x3TB WD Red/Green (BTRFS/TRAID)
TMnorah
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMnorah »

They are different. The objects for taking snapshots are different. TFSS is used for BTRFS file system , while snapshots are used for shared folders on the BTRFS file system.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
miji22

Post by miji22 »

tepe wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 04:56 Could you explain how Frequency work? In your example, snapshot will be taken:
a) Will start at 12:00 will take snapshot on every hour?
b) Will do one snapshot everyday at 12:00 ?
Sorry to ask this excellent question again, but can someone explain the idea of frequency? I see it used in TOS5 at multiple places and it never makes sense to me. I'm thinking it may be a translation artefact? Let's try a specific example shown above -- take snapshots at 12:00 with an hourly frequency, but frequency implies repetition (ie. no end) while start implies it is not running. So there are virtually mutually exclusive. If you start at 12:00 and repeat hourly, that means it never ends and so there is no need to have a task running at 12:00 - so what's the point to start it at 12:00?
Am I thinking of this wrong, and if so please set me straight because I always set frequency to "disabled".