The Flexible Disk Array -- TerraMaster TRAID

More about TOS 5 new features and improvements. Note: this forum is not for bug report! If you want to report bug, please go to the correct forum.
bosconet

Re: The Flexible Disk Array -- TRAID

Post by bosconet »

Just upgraded to TOS 5 (v 5.0.135-00179) for TRAID. Installed 4 new (to the F5-221) and have a new storage pool building INCREDIBLY slowly....after 3 hours it is only at 6% complete. Is this expected?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}bosconet

Please advise your hard drive model and size.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
bosconet

Post by bosconet »

{L_BUTTON_AT}bosconet
TMSupport wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 17:22 Please advise your hard drive model and size.
4TB WD Red [WD40EFRX-68N32N0] 4TB WD Red [WD40EFRX-68N32N0] Seagate BarraCuda Internal Hard Drive 8TB [model: st8000dm4-2cx188] Seagate BarraCuda Internal Hard Drive 8TB [model: st8000dm4-2cx188] I have since seen the option for RAID Sync Seep, but it seems to be an option only after I start and slow sync is the default....
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

It is a normal situation, the sync speed for a mechanical drive is about 150~200MB/s.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
bosconet

Post by bosconet »

TMroy wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 22:00 It is a normal situation, the sync speed for a mechanical drive is about 150~200MB/s.
wow, disappointed from a consumer perspective

1) unbox my shiny new toy
2) install HDs
3) go into TOS, enable TRAID on them
4) wait [in my case] for days before it is initialized and able to put data on....
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}bosconet

The newly created RAID needs to sync;
The mechanical drive is slow;

I am sorry, these are the facts we can NOT change at this moment.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
bosconet

Post by bosconet »

newest TRAID issue.

pulled a 4TB drive to replace with a 10TB drive and expand the amount of storage.

storage pool reporting "RAID is degraded"
click edit
select "Repair RAID (repair RAID array after replacing the faulty hard drive(s))"
Next -> Next
select new HD (10TB drive)
click "Confirm"

no evidence anything happens.....tried multiple times.

Also just updated to newest OS image 5.0.144 and tried again.
10minuteflash

Re: The Flexible Disk Array -- TerraMaster TRAID

Post by 10minuteflash »

Sorry I cannot help you with this but wow, this must be probably the most depressing tumbleweed support forum.

I put F4-223 on the first spot of my imminent shortlist of the NAS devices, but wanted to check how does the support looks like in the case of the unavoidable issues and... just wow.
It's not the first thread where I see users left for weeks (or like in this case for months) out to dry when trying to deal with the clearly NAS-caused data access issues and shortcomings. To have the situation where the NAS, the device that's supposed to keep the data safe and accessible is lost and no support is available is unconscionable... sure users should keep the backup of their backup in the safe place, right? Especially when they use these products.

Thank you, dear TerraMaster, for righting my ways.
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

{L_BUTTON_AT}10minuteflash

You are making a lot of assumptions.

If a customer reaches out to support directly or has a remote session with them, then unless it's a repeatable issue, most of the time there's nothing that requires releasing a patch plus rarely do people come back & update their posts/threads that they found a resolution offline.

This new flex raid option is new to TOS 5 & really shouldn't be used outside of a development stage until it matures enough to warrant real-time deployment; use the standard software RAID options.

If you don't want to use TOS 5, you can generally install a flavor of TrueNAS or other open source solutions on the Terra-Master ×86/×64 NAS devices to meet whatever requirements you may need.
Chief
United States of America

Post by Chief »

TMroy wrote: 14 Apr 2022, 11:38 How to migrate TRAID to TRAID+?
You can migrate TRAID to TRAID+ by adding the number of hard drives.
Note: TRAID can be migrated to TRAID+ only when there are 3 or more hard drives.
How to do it: Keep the TNAS powered on, insert a new hard drive, go to Control Panel > Storage Management > Storage Pools > Edit, and select “Migrate”. Make sure that the newly added hard drive meets the requirements.
So, I just purchased a second F5-221 and getting it set up with five 8TB drives right now. A little bit of a hiccup at first, but was able to get it initialized and since this is a backup to my backup, decided to give TRAID a try. The only option provided was TRAID, not TRAID+, despite having more than enough drives already.

What documentation there is, as quoted above, seems to imply that a new drive must be added, in order to migrate to TRAID+.

Is that really the case, or will be possible, once my drives are synced as a TRAID array, to migrate that to TRAID+? An important question, given that I can't physically add any more drives.

Also, if I can and do migration to TRAID+, what will be the effect on total available storage? Straight TRAID says I'll have a (raw) capacity of 32TB. How much of that would be left, assuming a migration to TRAID+ is possible?

Thanks for any info!