The Flexible Disk Array -- TerraMaster TRAID

More about TOS 5 new features and improvements. Note: this forum is not for bug report! If you want to report bug, please go to the correct forum.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: The Flexible Disk Array -- TRAID

Post by TMroy »

If you have built a storage pool and volume before you update your TOS to 5.0, in order to build a TRAID, you need to delete your previous storage pool and volume, and start over again. please backup your data before you do that.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
claudiocarli

Post by claudiocarli »

TMroy wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 00:04 If you have built a storage pool and volume before you update your TOS to 5.0, in order to build a TRAID, you need to delete your previous storage pool and volume, and start over again. please backup your data before you do that.
No, I am installing a totally new system, in 2 new hd. A totally fresh installation.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I see. As the model comes with TOS 4.2 initBoot, there is not an option for TRAID during the installation. So you need to install TOS 5 manually, then delete your storage pools from control panel, and rebuild again your pool, then you can setup a TRAID with two drives.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
claudiocarli

Post by claudiocarli »

TMroy wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 00:49 I see. As the model comes with TOS 4.2 initBoot, there is not an option for TRAID during the installation. So you need to install TOS 5 manually, then delete your storage pools from control panel, and rebuild again your pool, then you can setup a TRAID with two drives.
Ok, perfect. I am doing so. I will let you know.
claudiocarli

Post by claudiocarli »

TMroy wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 00:49 I see. As the model comes with TOS 4.2 initBoot, there is not an option for TRAID during the installation. So you need to install TOS 5 manually, then delete your storage pools from control panel, and rebuild again your pool, then you can setup a TRAID with two drives.
Now strangely he proposed to me to create the TRAID during the installation of TOS 5.0 himself!
But is it normal that with a 10Tb and an 8Tb disk the TRAID has only 7.27 Tb free?
If I add two more 8Tb drives how much free space can I get in total?
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

@claudiocarli
Sounds like it's giving you RAID 1.
claudiocarli

Post by claudiocarli »

titanrx8 wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 02:13 @claudiocarli
Sounds like it's giving you RAID 1.
No, no, I'm sure I chose Traid but it's still syncing... With 2 disk probably it's normal.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

With only two drives installed, there is no difference between TRAID and RAID 1, when you continue to add more drives, you will have more space from TRAID. It seems your drives showing the correct capacity.
scheppi2003

Post by scheppi2003 »

I do have a F4-421 and installed 4x 4TB HDD with TRIAD, which as the announcement show, should give me probably 13-14TB right, however I only get around 11TB, which is more like a RIAD 5 ! Anything I did wrong ? I also have not located data compression, which might be the solution for the missing space. And in general coming from QNAP, it seems data compression in general is not really good, since I had a media server with more than 100 movies on 7TB with about 1.5TB still free. On the Terramaster I am not even at half of the movies and I am already occupied more than 6TB. So before I continue with TRIAD, why am I wasting storage that fast using TRIAD with BTRFS File System.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

TRAID provides one drive redundancy, so this means you have only 3 drives capacity available. As the capacity show on the drive is counted in decimal, instead TOS counts capacity in binary, so I do not see something wrong with your TRAID capacity.