The Flexible Disk Array -- TerraMaster TRAID

More about TOS 5 new features and improvements. Note: this forum is not for bug report! If you want to report bug, please go to the correct forum.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: The Flexible Disk Array -- TerraMaster TRAID

Post by TMSupport »

timber wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 22:05
How do I calculate the capacity of a TRAID manually?

I'm asking because I started off with 5 5TB drives in TRAID which gave me a capacity of about 18TB (capacity seemed to be closer to RAID 5's N-1).

I replaced one of the 5TB with a 14TB drive, followed the instructions and repaired RAID, and I do not see any extra capacity or free space to grow the volume. Ultimately I was going to go through this process over and over till I replaced all 5 drives over the next couple of months.
For the capacity calculation of TRAID, you can check the detailed explanation in the first article.
If you use 5*5TB to create TRAID, then its usable space is the same as RAID 5.
If you replace the 5TB with a 14TB one, the remaining 9TB space will not be used, so the usable space will not change.
You need to replace the second 5TB hard drive with another 14TB for the remaining 9TB to be used. The usable space of the TRAID created by 3*5TB+2*14TB is (5-1)*5TB+(2-1)*9TB=29TB.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
timber

Post by timber »

TMSupport wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 15:15
timber wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 22:05
How do I calculate the capacity of a TRAID manually?

I'm asking because I started off with 5 5TB drives in TRAID which gave me a capacity of about 18TB (capacity seemed to be closer to RAID 5's N-1).

I replaced one of the 5TB with a 14TB drive, followed the instructions and repaired RAID, and I do not see any extra capacity or free space to grow the volume. Ultimately I was going to go through this process over and over till I replaced all 5 drives over the next couple of months.
For the capacity calculation of TRAID, you can check the detailed explanation in the first article.
If you use 5*5TB to create TRAID, then its usable space is the same as RAID 5.
If you replace the 5TB with a 14TB one, the remaining 9TB space will not be used, so the usable space will not change.
You need to replace the second 5TB hard drive with another 14TB for the remaining 9TB to be used. The usable space of the TRAID created by 3*5TB+2*14TB is (5-1)*5TB+(2-1)*9TB=29TB.
Thank you, this makes more sense the original article....
labjareth

Post by labjareth »

Is there an estimate on the release date of TRAID+?
ftfx007

Post by ftfx007 »

I have just bought a brand new TerraMaster F4-421 running TOS 5.1.40 and installed it with 3 x 12TB HDD.

When I the setup TNAS, I selected TRAID thinking I could get more usable space than a traditional RAID 5. With 3 x 12TB, my total Disk space is 36TB, But when I select TRAID, it says I can only use 24TB and have to set 12TB for redundancy.

Essentially, this is the same amount of space compared to a traditional RAID5. Can someone let me know if this is correct ?
labjareth

Post by labjareth »

ftfx007 wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 09:22 I have just bought a brand new TerraMaster F4-421 running TOS 5.1.40 and installed it with 3 x 12TB HDD.

When I the setup TNAS, I selected TRAID thinking I could get more usable space than a traditional RAID 5. With 3 x 12TB, my total Disk space is 36TB, But when I select TRAID, it says I can only use 24TB and have to set 12TB for redundancy.

Essentially, this is the same amount of space compared to a traditional RAID5. Can someone let me know if this is correct ?
That's correct. When all disks are the same size, TRAID behaves like RAID5. The difference is that TRAID lets you use disks of different sizes more efficiently than RAID5 (in terms of available storage space), and you can gradually upgrade your disk array and get the benefit of the added space.
ftfx007

Post by ftfx007 »

labjareth wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 10:03 That's correct. When all disks are the same size, TRAID behaves like RAID5. The difference is that TRAID lets you use disks of different sizes more efficiently than RAID5 (in terms of available storage space), and you can gradually upgrade your disk array and get the benefit of the added space.
Since I already have 3 x 12TB. If I were to get a bigger HDD for the 4th slot, say 16TB or 18TB, how much redundant space will TRAID require ?

So I can plan ahead.
labjareth

Post by labjareth »

ftfx007 wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 13:28
labjareth wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 10:03 That's correct. When all disks are the same size, TRAID behaves like RAID5. The difference is that TRAID lets you use disks of different sizes more efficiently than RAID5 (in terms of available storage space), and you can gradually upgrade your disk array and get the benefit of the added space.
Since I already have 3 x 12TB. If I were to get a bigger HDD for the 4th slot, say 16TB or 18TB, how much redundant space will TRAID require ?

So I can plan ahead.
Your total available space is the sum of all drives minus the biggest one, which means that adding a drive of 12gb or more will result in the addition of 12gb to your available space. Adding something larger than 12gb makes sense only if you plan to replace the other 12gb drives with bigger ones in the future.
tiagopalma

Post by tiagopalma »

First of all, Good morning everyone,
I recently bought an F4-423 and I would like to know if it is possible to expand the TRAID using USB connected disks or even using an external box from Terramaster like the D4-300?
Thanks
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

tiagopalma wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 21:32 First of all, Good morning everyone,
I recently bought an F4-423 and I would like to know if it is possible to expand the TRAID using USB connected disks or even using an external box from Terramaster like the D4-300?
Thanks
Unable to do so.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
AntonioC

Post by AntonioC »

Hey, Can I move a TRAID disk into another (Terramaster) NAS using a newer TOS from the one it was created? In case of hardware failure, can I replace the NAS with a newer TOS and keep the disk array and data?